We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

We are visiting in January or February of 2013 and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for day trips from the Folly Beach/Charleston area? This will be our first time visiting South Carolina and really want to take in as much as we can in the two weeks that we plan to be there.

There are four of us: two adults and two children (17 & 7 year old males). We'll be staying at a vacation rental on Folly Beach. So far, we have decided that we'd like to take the "off the beaten path" boat tour/trip to Morris Island and we plan to visit a plantation but are not sure which one yet. Is there one in particular that anyone would suggest? One that might have a second activity nearby that we could include on this trip?

We're open to any suggestions...

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

Middleton Plantation and Drayton Hall are very close to each other, and together make a great day. The gardens at Middleton are lovey even when not in bloom. There is also a working farmyard with artisans and craftsmen in period attire & animals (the young one will love that). Middleton has a restored home, while Drayton has a preserved home, so you have plantation life from 2 perspectives. Middleton has a restaurant on site, so you could do Middleton, have lunch, then see Drayton. While you're on that side of the river, you might want to check out Angel Oak, as well.

Plan some time in downtown Charleston, too. There are numerous tours (walking, bus, carriage). The Charleston Visitors Center website has a wealth of info on tours and other area activities. Link is http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/tours~32/.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,624 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

Your "boys" might be interested in a weekend visit to the Hunley submarine (first submarine ever successfully used in warfare in 1864, but lost at sea until 1995) in her conservation facility at the old naval base in North Charleston - http://www.hunley.org/#item3

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

The submarine would be wonderful to see. Our eldest son was a sea cadet but is now an army cadet so he'll be quite intrigued.

In Charleston we are planning on:

Taking the historic carriage ride/tour of town, visit the Civil War Museum, walk around the market, and tour a historic home. I am looking into a walking tour that our entire family would enjoy. Any suggestions (minus the Ghost tour)?

I am also going to look into a kayak tour of the marshland area in/near Folly. I think our family would enjoy that.

Thanks again for your input and suggestions!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

I really like Fort Moultrie. It's on Sullivans Island, at the opposite side of Charleston from Folly. You drive there. From Fort Moultrie, you look across Fort Sumter to the Morris Island Lighthouse at the end of Folly Island. Painless way to get a good understanding of the geography.

You can have a nice meal on Sullivans or in Mount Pleasant.

nps.gov/fosu/historyculture/fort_moultrie.htm

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

Try Ed Grimball for a walking tour...

http://www.edgrimballtours.com/

Contact my friend Ralph about kayaking...

www.kayakcharleston.net

Morris Island is not really an island, there is a lighthouse that is on an eroding piece of sand that locals are trying to save, I'd stick w/the Ft. Sumter or harbor tours...

http://www.savethelight.org/

I agree w/Middleton and Drayton for plantations.

Since you are planning to be here for 2 weeks, maybe do a day trip down to Beaufort, great waterfront area and your boys might enjoy the museum at Parris Island...

www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/graduation/museum.asp

The National Park Service has been running Gullah based programs at the Charles Pinckney Historical Site for the months of February and March. We went to hear Ann Caldwell and the Magnolia Singers, very worth the trip (about an hour program, outside)...

nps.gov/chpi/planyourvisit/upload/2012-01-03…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

Wow! Thank you so much for the wonderful ideas. Lots for me to look into!

Just wondering if there is much of a difference between Fort Sumpter and Fort Moultrie? Would it be worth the time to visit both?

Thanks again for all of your help:)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

Inexpensive family friendly places you might enjoy:

Charlestowne Landing

Caw Caw Center (a nature preserve in Ravenel) - good for gator spotting

Huntington Beach State Park - fishing off the jetty on Murrell's Inlet is very popular

I second the trip to Beaufort - Parris Island was a hit with our grandkids

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

I would forgo the Morris Island boat excursion also. Instead, park at the end of the road and walk 1/4 in and view the lighthouse from the end of the island. I would highly recommend having dinner at Bowen's Island one evening for the sunset, shoveled roasted oysters on your table or other seafood.

You do not need to travel to Murrell's Inlet to get the same ambience in Folly and Charleston. If I were picking one fort over another, I would pick Fort Moultrie. Much more to see and experience, although if the historical factor is important, do the Fort Sumter boat excursion and enjoy the views from the boat. It is also worth a visit to Sunset Cay Marina in the evening for a burger/appetizer and watch the dolphins come in and feed. Fishing off the Folly Pier is something I'm sure both boys would enjoy. You could also find someone to take them oystering, or observing an oystering expedition. I hope you consider renting a golf cart on Folly because your boys would thoroughly enjoy that venue to explore the island.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

Fort Sumter is in the middle of the harbor and you can only get there by boat. It is where the American Civil war started. Fort Moultrie is on Sulllivan"s Island and you get there by car. Both are quite old and have alot of history, but Ft. Sumter is the more famous of the 2.

Patriot's Point (in Mt. Pleasant, just across the harbor from Downtown) has the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier, it was involved in the Battle of Midway in WWII. You can tour it. There is also a Medal of Honor museum and other attractions - usually a big hit with the guys.

I would think twice about going to Morris Island - there really is no island there. Over the years it has eroded away, there is nothing to see (except the lighthouse, which you can not go into), no vegetation, etc. At high tide the water is right against the base of the lighthouse, with no sand visible at all. You can view the lighthouse by walking to the end of Folly Beach and looking across the water.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Folly Beach suggestions

Fort Moultrie does have a little more to see and do. History from Revolution through WWs.

You might also check on one of the eco tours. We like Barrier Island Eco Tours, which leaves from Isle of Palms Marina. Most of their tours are half-day and include visit to Capers Island, which is undeveloped. You could do a morning ecto tour, then pop over to Sullivan's Island, which is right next to IOP, and see Ft Moultrie. Plenty of great places for lunch on both islands.

Oh, the little inlet between the two islands is the area from which the Hunley launched. It has a VERY small park with info posted.