We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

toronto,canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

Is this hotel in a good area of the historic district? Is it close to Battery Park and the Market? Is the surrounding area quaint? I'm concerned that some of the reviews mentioned a lot of construction going on in the area. Thanks for your help.

Best Seller
Charleston’s Old South Carriage...
744 Reviews
from USD 26.00*
Best Seller
Charleston Harbor History Tour
464 Reviews
from USD 27.56*
Ghosts of Charleston Tour
95 Reviews
from USD 25.00*
10 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
508 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

Unfortunately, for marketing purposes, several hotels will call themselves "Historic District" when in fact they're quite far from what we would call the HD of Charleston. Hyatt House is one of these hotels. It is located on King St. but it is actually several blocks north of Calhoun which we consider the northner border of the HD. It is even further from the Battery which is at the very southern tip of the HD. The area is nice but very commercial and there are building projects going on all over the place. Based on your question, I don't think this would be the place for you if you're looking for "quaint" or "charming". Upper King St. is the nightlife center of Charleston with lots of bars, restaurants and the like. I hope this helps.

Edited: 27 May 2018, 01:26
toronto,canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

Thank you. Given my budget of $200-$250 I don't think I will be able to get a room in the Battery Park area. Would I be better to stay in Mount Pleasant at the Hilton Garden Inn? Is the area charming? I don't mind having to drive. I'm looking for a quant charming area near historic homes yet close to downtown Charleston. What would you recommendation?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

We don't have Battery Park, that is in NYC. 😊 What we have is simply called the Battery and the park in that area is White Point Gardens. The Battery is a historic residential area. Several blocks north of there is where most of the hotels are. When are you coming? $200 t0 $250 will not get a hotel in the HD most of the time. Hyatt is 1 mile from the heart of the HD and 2 miles from the Battery. If you don't mind walking a LOT, you can stay there. It is on the edge of a not so savory neighborhood. You can check the travel site TravelZoo, they often run some specials on historic district hotels ~ that would be your best bet to find something in your price range.

The Hilton Garden Inn is about a 10-15 min drive to the historic district. It is safe, but not at all "charming" area. It is adjacent to very busy roads and not walkable to anything. Mt. Pleasant is a suburb and rather spread out. Most hotels in your price range will be in one suburb or another and most not walkable to anything.

Edited: 27 May 2018, 02:21
toronto,canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

Thank you. Oops, sorry I guess I meant Battery area. I'm going September 9-15. Area is very important to me. I don't mind a lot of walking but do not want to stay in a not so savory area. I will check Travelzoo.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

No problem, it is a common mistake, not the end of the world.😜 Keep in mind that it will still be quite hot in September, but school will be back in, so fewer visitors.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

Call the Wyndham Mills House to see if they will be running any specials at the time of your visit. That's about as close to the historic homes as you will get.

toronto,canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

Thank you! I will check out Wyndham Mills House.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
360 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

Last year Travelzoo did have a special for the Mills House at the end of September. I think we paid around 180 a night. If you “join” travelzoo you can set an alert for Charleston. I think they currently have an offer for the Vendue which is in a location you might like.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

You could try the Meeting Street Inn (not to be confused with 2 Meeting Street Inn, an expensive, historic B&B, however, it is right at the Battery, if it would fit your budget), Jasmine House Inn, Palmer's Pinckney Inn. All nicely located.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
113 reviews
10. Re: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District

Our family just completed a stay at the Hyatt Place and around the corner at Homewood Suites. We were in town for a wedding and absolutely loved the area. Lots of fun places for lunch, dinner, live music at night. Very safe and a 15-minute walk into the historic district. I really preferred the vibe of this area compared to places we have stayed closer to the South of Broad of area.I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. We ranged in age from young children to 50-something's.

Reply to: Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted