We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best areas to stay in for visiting history

Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best areas to stay in for visiting history

We are going to be in Charleston arriving 6/21 and leaving 6/25. We want to spend around 4 days in the historical area and one day at a beach (not sure which beach but one that is nice, not overly crowded, maybe has some good resturants around for lunch). We can’t stay directly in the historic district, I’m looking at Airbnb type places. We have two parents and two teens, we will like to stay in a area that has some neat resturants with character, like local places instead of chain places.

What would be the best areas of town to stay in where we don’t have to spend a ton of time driving to the historic district and figuring out where to park? On a map things look close but I don’t know about traffic and such.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
5 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best areas to stay in for visiting history

By far the best area is the historic district. If that is not in the budget, somewhere just over one of the bridges is good. Did you read the info in your other post that I gave you regarding Mt. Pleasant??? I gave you both hotel and airbnb info.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best areas to stay in for visiting history

I did, thank you endosunshine! I have a Airbnb place in Mt Pleasant I emailed the owner about. I just wanted to see if I should check any other areas besides Mt Pleasant. Is Mt Pleasant going to be the best area? How long do you think it would take to get into the historic district and parked?

Speaking of parked....where is parking in the historic district that’s close to all the pretty stuff?

Mentioned in this post
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best areas to stay in for visiting history

If these links don't work, copy and paste.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12146479…

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17554764…

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best areas to stay in for visiting history

There are any number of parking garages.

www.charleston-sc.gov/index.aspx?NID=1025

On this list ~ #3,4,8,9,10 & 12 are in very convenient locations.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best areas to stay in for visiting history

This is a convenient location in the West Ashley portion of Charleston. I know where this is, the only issue may be some traffic getting in and out of the parking lot onto a main road.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/24157510…

Any beach is as good as another. If you stayed in the above location, Folly Beach would be closest. If you stay in Mt. Pleasant, the Isle of Palms or Sullivan's Island would be closest. Folly and the Isle of Palms have county parks with public restrooms and showers. Sullivan's Island does not have any facilities. The county park areas are usually crowded, but you could easily walk further down the beach, away from crowds. If you do not park in the county park parking lot ~ be VERY careful where and how you park, there are rules and they give out tickets with heavy fines if you do not follow rules listed on the signs.

Mentioned in this post
Ashley Inn
Ashley Inn
337 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Mount Pleasant