We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors - 30th anniversary trip

Randolph NJ
Level Contributor
400 posts
69 reviews
First time visitors - 30th anniversary trip

Coming down first week of June - arriving Thurs night leaving Sunday.

Looking for some feedback. Thinking about renting a car Friday morning to see a few beaches and drive around a few towns outside of Charleston to check them out to potentially look for a retirement destination. My wife and I will continue to work for another 5-10 years and are active and want to find a place that is warmer than NJ, and has a nice town to walk to restaurants and into town for shopping. Walking is important to us but we are not city people either (more suburban) but would love to go into Charleston for restaurants and to visit. We love the beach and would prefer to be close by but not sure we can afford the pricey homes in Kiawah etc ($500k range would work). Any areas to recommend for our Friday drive to find our future place.

Then we plan to return late Friday afternoon and enjoy Charleston for the rest of the weekend on foot and have reservations at Magnolia (Fri) and Circa 1886 (Sat). We can't wait. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

5 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: First time visitors - 30th anniversary trip

Please have your comments reference an anniversary trip rather than potential relocation. TripAdvisor does not support relocation question and will delete your post. There is no need to drive to "other towns". Charleston has many suburbs (James Island, West Ashley) and then there is Mt. Pleasant, Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, the Isle of Palms, etc. All of these areas run together as one huge town. Cost of housing here is very expensive, as it is considered a resort area. The area is growing very rapidly and costs are rising. There are SCADS of people moving in from the northeast. The median home price in Mt. Pleasant is almost $500K, on the Isle of Palms is $850K,, Kiawah $1.1 million, James Island (which has no beach) $.284K, etc. I really don't know of anywhere that you can live and walk to most things. The area is very suburban, you end up driving to most things, with the exception of if you lived in the historic district, which is the most expensive of all. There is a new development outside the area called Nexton, you could look at that. I have no idea of the prices.

You could easily spend your entire trip in the historic district seeing the things there. If you have not already, take a look to the right side of this page for Top Questions about Charleston (on a computer, won't show up on a phone) for lots of info on what is available to see and do in the area.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: First time visitors - 30th anniversary trip

The first weekend of June is a good time to get a reality check on Charleston-area traffic. We are totally dependent on bridges, the main commuter route I-26 is also the main route for heavy trucks to the Port of Charleston, and street flooding gets worse with every storm cycle. Since the Don Holt Bridge went out last week, we are all reconsidering what we have done to ourselves, but we have no idea how to change it now. If you choose a suburban life near Charleston, you will never be closer than an hour to the historic city.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/for-char…

Randolph NJ
Level Contributor
400 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: First time visitors - 30th anniversary trip

Thanks so much for your responses I appreciate it.

So did I choose good restaurants in Magnolia for Friday night and Circa 1886 for Sat night?

And what is a good super casual place for lunch while my wife and I walk around Charleston on Saturday that would be different from my choices above. Thanks again!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: First time visitors - 30th anniversary trip

Lots of good lunch options almost anywhere you find yourself. Most restaurants post a menu outside. If it looks like frozen, fried, and greasy, it probably is. If you're shopping along King Street, you'll find something for yourself. If you want a destination, Fleet Landing is the only thing right on the water. It's not so far out of the way if you've been walking along Rainbow Row and Waterfront Park.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: First time visitors - 30th anniversary trip

Lots of long time residents are now leaving Charleston ~ due to traffic, prices and crowding.

Reply to: First time visitors - 30th anniversary trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted