We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days for southern charm

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
16 reviews
2 days for southern charm

Hi

I do not know whether this is the right place to ask the question, but I shall nevertheless go ahead

Due to some visa issues, my later plans got mangled, leaving me with 6 days to spend before flying out of US. In these 3 days I am planning to do Miami and Key West. For the remaining 3, I had a toss up between Orlando (coz I land up there before going to Miami) and going over to catch some southern charm of Charleston & Savannah (which I read quite rave reviews of)

I am planning to take a car from Orlando and drive to Charleston, spend the night there before driving to Savannah and spending night there

Question was- 1. Are there walking tours which get you a feel of the place in the limited time I have

2. What would be a good time to spend to get a feel for the place

3. my dates are 5/29 to 5/31. Accuweather shows possibility of thunderstorms during that period (as of now). In that situation, do I avoid these places?

Appreciate your inputs

cheers

6 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: 2 days for southern charm

I would suggest spending both days in one location. 1 day each does not do either place justice. We usually suggest about 2-3 days for Savannah and 3-4 (or more) for Charleston. Charleston has much more to see and do, due to having saved many more historic buildings and locations. It is also older than Savannah. Charleston has 5 plantations and Savannah has none, as they were lost in the US Civil War. Charleston has a number of walking tours with great information. Walking tours are usually about 2 hours long, carriage tours only 1 hour. Both cities also have carriage tours, but they don't offer as much information.

In either place I would suggest getting a hotel in the historic district, which would allow you to walk to many historic sites, local restaurants, bars, museums, etc. Driving to Charleston would add about 2 more hours to your drive, as opposed to stopping in Savannah.

May 28th is Memorial Day, which is a large holiday in the US. Thus many areas will be quite crowded. I think Disney (in Orlando) will be VERY crowded during your dates. In any of the locations you have mentioned, you may have problems finding a hotel in the historic districts and/or highly desirable areas.

Our summer weather reports from about May thru Sept typically read ~ hot, hazy, humid and a chance of thunderstorms/rain. Yesterday it said 90% chance of rain for today, now today ~ they have revised it to 20%. Our weather reports change frequently, often during the same day. So I would not worry too much about the rain, it might rain or they might change the report by then.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: 2 days for southern charm

You should go to Savannah, and save Charleston for another trip. Savannah is 2 hours closer to Orlando, and it's a beautiful historic city with more than enough to satisfy a 3-day trip. Charleston May 29-31 will be overflowing with Spoleto Festival USA visitors - hotels, sidewalks, and restaurants all jam-packed.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,291 reviews
3. Re: 2 days for southern charm

I would suggest spending both days in one location.

=======

This is excellent advice -

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,544 posts
153 reviews
4. Re: 2 days for southern charm

You are certainly doing a lot of traveling! NYC, Chicago, Miami, Key West, etc. What airport are you flying out of? You should be in that city...or within..say..2 hours of that city, on the day of your departure. Will you be driving or flying from Miami to (possibly) Savannah? That's a whole day of driving. Maybe look into St. Augustine, FL to spend a couple of days rather than Charleston or even Savannah. After a day or two there you could take a leisurely drive down the scenic A1A, along the coast, to Daytona Beach, or even a little further south, and then head west back to Orlando (IF that is where you are flying out of)

Look at a map and the mileage from one place to another. And be sure to read all the replies in your other posts. Lots of helpful information in those posts.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
989 posts
773 reviews
5. Re: 2 days for southern charm

I was also thinking St. Augustine. It's closer and there are things to see there along with the beach nearby. The drive to Charleston or Savannah on I-95 can be frustrating and will take a lot our of you. You will end up not being able to see very much in either city if you have to drive through Florida. If you're coming from Miami, it's an 8 hour drive to Charleston and still about a 6 hour drive to Savannah without heavy traffic. During the summer traffic can get heavy on I-95 and one accident along the way will make things even slower. Plan another trip and fly into Charleston to visit.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: 2 days for southern charm

Thanks a lot endosunshine, terrie, beachlady, Mike and savan for the advice

I was trying for either of those 2 places but wasn't sure I wuld have more to do, coz I wanted to hit the main attractions and not go to the secondary and tertiary one. Having flown from far you have to make these difficult decision

I'm not much of a beach person but a history person hence the historical district of Charleston and Savannah were on my list. There are beaches both places I understand but I don't prefer them much.

Beachlady I'm surprised u know my entire itinerary ;) I fly out of orlando, St Augustine and Daytona was an option, but only of Charleston & Savannah are too far off!

Reply to: 2 days for southern charm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted