We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first Charleston/Savannah visit!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
139 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Our first Charleston/Savannah visit!

Hello! My husband and I are planning a 4 night/5 day trip to Charleston/Savannah area March 9-13. We're flying into Savannah and trying to figure out how to split up the trip...am thinking we will drive right up to Charleston once we arrive and spend Friday/Sat/Sunday nights there. Maybe take a day trip to Beaufort one day. Then on Monday morning head down to Savannah and spend the night there before our noonish flight on Tuesday.

I'm curious if this loose schedule makes sense...also seeing that Hilton Head and Tybee Island might be worth checking out?

Once we have a general idea of where we are staying on which nights, then I can start looking at the fun stuff to fill the day! :)

Thanks in advance - always appreciate TripAdvisor advice!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Best Seller
Charleston’s Old South Carriage...
668 Reviews
from USD 26.00*
Best Seller
Charleston Harbor History Tour
430 Reviews
from USD 27.56*
Downtown Charleston Culinary Tour
170 Reviews
from USD 65.00*
2 replies to this topic
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,067 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first Charleston/Savannah visit!

Driving up to Charleston and spending the majority of you time there is wise.

You can hit Beaufort on your way back to Savannah, no need to take extra time out for that. Start early, take a walking or carriage tour, have lunch, then head to Savannah, so that you've still got some wandering time that day.

HHI is not much to visit, if you're not staying there. Lots of gated plantations, so you don't see much of the island, only the commercial space. You might have time for Tybee, but you also might want to just spend the time, after leaving Charleston, in the heart of Savannah, you'll have done enough driving around, already.

You're definitely trying to smash too much into too short of a time frame.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Beaufort
Beaufort
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,951 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first Charleston/Savannah visit!

Charleston has far more to see and do than does Savannah. This is primarily due to having saved many more historic sites over the years than Savannah. Charleston has 5 local plantations available to tour, Savannah has none, as they were burned in the Civil War. So plan for more time in Charleston, we often suggest 3 days Charleston and 2 for Savannah. Or, in your case, 3 Charleston and 1 Savannah ~ as you suggested. Beaufort is between the 2 towns, so you could stop there on the way to Savannah. Beaufort is a great small town and very scenic, but to be honest ~ with as little time as you have, I would skip it and concentrate on the 2 larger cities. Charleston also has to die for fabulous restaurants!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Beaufort
Beaufort
Reply to: Our first Charleston/Savannah visit!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted