We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Block Island Is Not Party Central

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Block Island Is Not Party Central

We've been going to Block Island for many years now and love it because of the 3 major islands in the area, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and BI, BI, at least IMHO, is the anti-island. It isn't like the other 2 in that there are no chains, hotels or restaurants, though we always count the one exception, Ben & Jerry's, nor golf courses ( though as an avid golfer I still love it) Building of any kind takes an act of Congress, and it is a hikers and nature lovers paradise. Yes there are shops, pubs, restaurants, guest houses, B & B's, and some turn of the century hotels, but it isn't overrun, and it offers something for just about everyone.

I also regularly read the Block Island Times, online at block-island.villagesoup.com, and was disturb to see recently that after a recent 4th of July celebration of Surf Beach, partiers wanted to do a second round today, July 16th.. Local officials caught the announcement of Facebook and it was quickly put to an end. But it could have meant 300 to 500 people boozing it up causing all sorts of problems for the local police, not to mention families and others who want to visit for the day or are on vacation.

I see regular posts from people concerned about where to stay because of weekend partying. That's too bad. Everyone should be able to have a good time. I like a glass of wine or 2 and want to relax on the island, but I shouldn't be worried about excessive noise or partying when I finally go to sleep. A little common respect goes a long way.

The last thing I want to do is sound like a prude. But Block Island isn't Fort Lauderdale either. Please have a good time, stay up late if you want and enjoy the music at a local bar, but respect those who are looking for a quieter time. The island is small as we all know who visit often, and everyone can enjoy it.

JDP

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Block Island Is Not Party Central

A great post. Of course the solution is to find a place that caters to like minded people. There are places that cater to resposible adults. Its difficult to weed out the youngandfoolish but it can be done. Some places have gone so far as to raise the minimum booking age to 25. its increasingly difficult for young people to get rooms but don't feel sorry for them as they bring it on themselves. In the end its up to the proprioters to decide what kind of business they want and also to us customers who must vote with our feet.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Block Island Is Not Party Central

I totally agree. It is difficult to accommodate everyone, and while I want all the local businesses to thrive, there needs to be a limit. I do know their police department is stretched thin, like so many others are, so it takes "policing" from everyone as you say to make it safe and accessible for all.

JDP

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Block Island Is Not Party Central

Great post! For the partying crowd there are several choices... Newport, Misquamicut and Providence especially have so many fun places for that sort of vacation. Block Island is a good choice for those who want a quieter vacation. I like that locals and businesses work to keep it that way.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Block Island Is Not Party Central

Wishing it wasn't Party Central doesn't change anything...it IS, like it or not....even more so than the other 3 places you named, IMO. I like both sides of Block....the party side and the quiet/nature side.

-
Level Contributor
23 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Block Island Is Not Party Central

I lived and worked on Block Island in 1997. I cannot fathom how B.I. became "party central." There parties, but not of the type that is now occuring - this massive influx bit of people solely looking for a location on which to, appears, be drunk and rowdy. Someone promoted this. It didn't just "happen."

In large part, this suggests a completely self-serving mindset in the people coming en masse -- a new "kick." It's a trash it as long as I'm happy mentality. This is not a new phenomenon, and I know I never thought I needed to be a ____ (jack ___ is a "profanity"?) in order to have fun.

Block Island could temper it.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Block Island Is Not Party Central

Thanks Input for bringing this back up, especially since we are nearing, at least with the current weather, the Spring/Summer season and time to go to the beach and islands. As far as the "promotion" of these large parties, I think the internet, particularly Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outlets help to prompt these large parties faster than ever before. I'm not criticizing social media, just that there is an ability now to get out the "word" of a party faster than ever before. Also, I think people are looking for an island, or coastal alternative to Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, or the Cape and BI for some is fitting the bill. Hopefully everyone can be accommodated, but there needs to be a respect for all who want to enjoy the island. In these tough economic times, with police forces shrinking, I would hate to see the island overrun and lose the charm it holds for all ages.

JDP

7. Re: Block Island Is Not Party Central

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2013, 04:08
8. Re: Block Island Is Not Party Central

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 19:28