We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant to celebrate graduation

Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant to celebrate graduation

I need help finding a nice restaurant in Pittsburgh for an early (5pm) Saturday dinner celebrating a very special graduation. I'm looking for something to accommodate 9 people. Preferably entree's around low to mid 20's. I'd really like to have something with tablecloths and an more intimate atmosphere. We want to stay in the city, Northside or southside and as far east as East liberty. I have searched TripAdvisor and Yelp and can't seem to come up with anything suitable.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
6 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant to celebrate graduation

You have so many limiting factors its not surprising you are having trouble. By requiring tablecloths you are eliminating tons of places with exceptional food. And your price point is not great for special occasion restaurants.

Downtown with tablecloths- Mortons, Ruth Chris, Carlton...all way above your budget.

East End with tablecloths- Twisted Frenchman- way above budget (tasting menu only)

I can't think of a single restaurant in the Southside with tablecloths.

There are lots of places downtown, several in the East End and a few in the Southside that have excellent food and a great atmosphere. But you're going to need to drop the tablecloths (rarely seen except for at super high end old school restaurants) and up your budget.

Places I'd suggest that meet your other criteria, nice atmosphere and good food/special occasion, location at a higher cost and without tablecloths:

Spoon, Legume, Stagionis, Eleven, Joseph Tambellini's

Edited: 10 May 2018, 08:01
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant to celebrate graduation

Thanks for your suggestions but all of those are out of budget considering (salmon @$35 at tambellinis, add on sides, salads and drinks). If it were just 4 of us but 9 could make for a very expensive early dinner. I agree tablecloths may have been pushing it.

What are your thoughts about Lidias or spork or any restaurant without the linens.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 08:16
Mentioned in this post
Lidia's
Lidia's
819 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant to celebrate graduation

I realize those were above budget. They fit the criteria of special occasion and intimate atmosphere. Most of the restaurants in your price point are more casual and will have loud atmosphere, especially any in the DeShantz group. Great food and fun, but not what you’re looking for.

Lydia’s is just ok. The last time we were there (about a month ago, for brunch) I thought the restaurant looked run down and dirty. Haven’t tried Spark, but it looks super casual.

Did you look at Stagioni’s menu? It’s closest to what your looking for and the best priced of those I listed. They have an upstairs dining room that’s more formal looking than the main floor. With your party size you could request it and at 5:00 pm you’d likely have the room to yourselves. Its one of my favorite places for Italian food.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant to celebrate graduation

Just had another thought...the Gandy Dancer Saloon at the Grand Concourse had a very reasonable menu and is in a beautiful historic building at Station Square along the river. It’s actually below your budget. Not as nice as the high end restaurant next door, but would be classy and elegant. Can’t vouch for the food quality as we only do the GC’s Sunday Brunch, which is very good for a buffet.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Concourse
Grand Concourse
986 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Station Square
Station Square
353 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
US
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant to celebrate graduation

Some options to consider. They might be a smidge over budget but I think they’re worth the splurge. Spoon

Eleven

Casbah

Legume

No guarantees on linens but all will provide great service and excellent food. Legume and Spoon get my top votes.

Mentioned in this post
Casbah
Casbah
321 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
US
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant to celebrate graduation

I haven’t been to this yet but maybe an option? https://www.pouletbleupgh.com

Paris 66 is noisy but may not be crowded at 5pm

The patio at Nicky’s Thai on the North Side is lovely.

Neither of those will be intimate or sedate but food will be good. :)

Reply to: Restaurant to celebrate graduation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pittsburgh