We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

la
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

Has anyone stayed in this hostel recently? Any feedback to share?

Thank you!

Wollongong
Level Contributor
41 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

Hi There,

Sorry never stayed there, but do drive past it several times a week. Often see Backpackers going to or moving on from there.

I don't know what you know about it already but, it is literally right next door to the train station, about 1 min walk.

The Grand Hotel (pub) is the other side, great fish and chip shop, decent Noodle shop (like Chinese etc.) in in that area too.

Main street about 5 mins away, a leisurely stroll.

Closest good beach is Surf Beach, about 3 mins walk.

Kiama blowhole & lighthouse easy 10 min walk (in fact very recommended).

Hope that helps a bit (although not much help on actual hostel itself).

Cheers,

Matt

la
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

Would not recommend this hostel. Tried to book by phone so called from US. Was told to send an email which I did. Received reply to email in my credit card info.

Replied to that to say that no-one in business anywhere in the world recommends sending credit card details in the email. It is an INSECURE method of communication and just waiting to be stolen.

Opted to stay somewhere else due to this foolish business practice of requiring a reservation to be made solely by email.

Heard other negative feedback on the hostel while travelling around Oz.

Recommendation: avoid this place.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

Thats a bit harsh if you've not actually even seen this place dubtb....

IME credit card bookings are VERY common worldwide, at least in budget-4star hotels I've booked with...

la
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

The issue is with the booking process - sending a regular email (which is what they requested I do) that contains credit card information is not a secure system. Since they wouldn't take the details verbally when I initially phoned them there was no other way to make the reservation.

Enclosed below is an extract on this point: www.virtu-software.com/ask-doug/QandA.asp?q=4

"People tend to think that email is a private correspondence between them and their intended recipient. That would be a nice theory, but it is not guaranteed! Remember that emails do not send or receive over secure sockets, which means if someone was looking and analyzing in the right place at the right moment, they could intercept your data packets and snag your credit card number."

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

Fair enough, point taken, but I still think you will find it is not unusual in budget Hotels, B&B's etc. I found this quite a common way of booking in Europe & never had a problem...perhaps I was just lucky!

always a good idea to keep an eye on your CC records wherever you are- mistakes can happen (double charging etc) as well as other fraudulant activity...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,142 posts
1,407 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

with all my travel experience I have always booked accommodation through a on-line booking service or by email and have never had a problem.

However, I don't understand why they didn't take your information and details down when you telephoned them directly. Did they say why they wouldn't ??

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

i dont understand the problem with reserving accomm via email with a credit card...I do it quite often...never ever a problem.

maybe they wanted it in 'writing' instead of verbally?!

8. Re: Kiama Backpackers Hostel - 31 Bong Bong Street, Kiama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Kiama