We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation needed for 31/12 - 2/1/2011

Which Byron Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation needed for 31/12 - 2/1/2011

Can any one help. I know this is a long shot. Desperately looking for accomodation for 2 nights in Byron Bay central. From 31 Dec 2010 - 2nd Jan 2011. Unfortunetly i work and this is the only time i can get off. We are looking for accomodation for 4 adults - ages 19 - 55

thank you

Kathy

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation needed for 31/12 - 2/1/2011

Hello Kat

This isn't a booking site, only advice. You'd have to check sites like www.wotif.com or other last minute sites for accommodation.

And then check out the reviews and private message reviewers for more info.

good luck

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation needed for 31/12 - 2/1/2011

I check wotif.com earlier for you . Unfortunately without a result.

You are entering the dreaded ' minimum stay' period and I'm sorry to say its not easy to get around. I would suggest your only fallback might be the Motels and Pubs who generally dont impose such restrictions.

Towns like Byron seriously need to revise this minimun stay b.s. - I did see that whilst all short term rooms ( 2 -3 nights) were sold out, many longer term room (5-7) are still available, and given the exhorbitant rates they are charging they may well see themselves with empty rooms this year, especially given the strong dollar.

There a lot of people who cannot get tjime off over xmas - especially in their own Hospitality industry and as a small business owner I personally am sick and tired of minimum nights always being one more night than we can actually get everytime there is a public holiday !

A week in Byron is more expensive than 2 weeks in Thailand - move with the times or dont whinge about the depressed Tourist market !

rant ended...

Edited: 05 November 2010, 21:24
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation needed for 31/12 - 2/1/2011

thank you for the advise. Looks like ill have to find somewhere else for New Year. I too am in the hospitality business so 2 nights is my maximum time off. My husbands birthday is the 31 December - was hoping to spoil him for the night. Any other ideas?

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation needed for 31/12 - 2/1/2011

I agree the minimum stay around Byron is a PITA. Especially around Xmas New Years.

If you want a spoil try the Byron at Byron. It might allow 2 nights. But it won't be cheap.

Also why not try Peppers Salt Resort down thew road in Kingscliff? Worth a look.

http://www.peppers.com.au/salt/

or even Mantra on Salt.

http://www.mantraonsaltbeach.com.au/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation needed for 31/12 - 2/1/2011

B8 - its not just Byron who impose these minimums but Noosa and many parts of NQ and indeed SEQ. Moreton & Straddie are out of the question for most.

They are all begging for help with their lagging tourist numbers yet insist on imposing these minimums AND 400% tariff mark ups. This may have worked for them in the past but they are saying bookings are well down on previous years.

It seems a no brainer to me - sure some sort of commitment would be justifiable - 3 nights perhaps, but 7 is just not possible for many families , and visitors, at present. I especially feel sorry for the o/s visitors who are attempting to see various parts of our coastline but are ultimately forced to stop in just a couple of places.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
368 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation needed for 31/12 - 2/1/2011

Have you considered perhaps Lennox Head which is only 20min drive from Byron - has just as nice, if not better beaches. The other spot to check would be Brunswick Heads, again 20min drive to Byron, and has a great beach and river. Both very nice spots - great pubs, excellent restaurants and all will have some sort of NYE celebrations happening.

Good luck.

7. Re: Accomodation needed for 31/12 - 2/1/2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2011, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Byron Bay