We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Austells camping and general suggestions

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
St Austells camping and general suggestions

Hello All

I'm planning on staying in the St Austell area of Cornwall. I've narrowed it down to 3 campsites and if anybody has stayed at these I'd be grateful for reviews:

Carlyon Bay Camping and Caravan Park

River Valley Holiday Park

Pentewan Sands

I want to be able to visit Porthpean Beach (any reviews on this?) so this may effect which campsite we stay at???

I also want to avoid school holidays, weather wise would it be best to come early July or mid September? Or is there not much difference?

Lastly is there anything else we must try and fit in while in the area?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
St Austell
St Austell
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
1,694 Reviews
St Austell, UK
235 Reviews
St Austell, UK
Pentewan Sands Holiday Park
Pentewan Sands Holiday...
509 Reviews
Pentewan, UK
Porthpean Beach
Porthpean Beach
174 Reviews
St Austell, UK
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,492 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

Only one review on here for one site. Try looking at www.ukcampsite.co.uk for some reviews and perhaps you could boost the reviews here when you get back.

There is also www.caravansitefinder.co.uk but the reviews are old. Has some useful info tho. One of them has won lots of awards. It also has a naturist area!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

I've only been to Pentewan Sands, and even then I haven't stayed there, but it looks a really good site with lots of amenities and it is right on the beach.

I've not been to Carlyon Bay itself for many years as there was a lot of building work going on nearby. I would hope this has finished by now, maybe Badcat can come along in a bit and let us know.

Mentioned in this post
509 Reviews
Pentewan, UK
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
1,694 Reviews
St Austell, UK
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

Hi

Here i am!

Carlyon Bay and River Valley are small sites slightly inland(not coastal) whilst Pentewan is much larger and on its own sandy beach with excellent facilities inc new indoor funpool and entertainment complex. I would imagine its much more expensive than the other two.

If you want small, quiet and in nice countryside,Carlyon Bay and River Valley fit the bill but if you want to be on the beach with everything on your doorstep, then Pentewan is for you.

May i ask why you want to visit Porthpean beach, as its not the greatest in the area?

All of these sites are within a 15 min drive to Porthpean. River Valley is actually very close to Pentewan, whilst Carlyon Bay is the other side of ST.Austell bay. The building work Annabelle is referring to is not near the campsite so don't worry about that.

June or September? Whenever you can get the best deal, the British weather is too unpredictable to make a difference there.

Try to visit Charlestown,Fowey and Mevagissey whilst in the area, and the Eden Project is excellent though rather expensive in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
1,694 Reviews
St Austell, UK
Pentewan
Pentewan
St Austell, UK
Porthpean Beach
Porthpean Beach
174 Reviews
St Austell, UK
St Austell
St Austell
Cornwall, UK
Charlestown
Charlestown
St Austell, UK
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Mevagissey
Mevagissey
Cornwall, UK
Eden Project
Eden Project
10,133 Reviews
Bodelva, UK
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

Thanks Badcat, I knew we could count on you.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

Hi there

My family holidayed at Pentewan Sands for many, many years, right back before it was the smart complex it is these days. It has it's own beach and plenty to do on site although as with River Valley, you are a bit out in the sticks. Apart from the on site bar and club, the only pub within walking distance of Pentewan Sands is the Ship Inn in Pentewan village, which I have dined in, and it's pretty good with excellent ales.

If you don't mind a 4-5 min drive, there are a couple of good pubs in Mevagissey including the Fountain Inn which features in the 2012 CAMRA Good Beer Guide.

Have to agree with Badcat about Porthpean beach, for my money, the best one in the area, other than Pentewan would be at Par, between St Austell and Fowey, acres of good. clean sand backed by low dunes

Mentioned in this post
509 Reviews
Pentewan, UK
Pentewan
Pentewan
St Austell, UK
Mevagissey
Mevagissey
Cornwall, UK
Porthpean Beach
Porthpean Beach
174 Reviews
St Austell, UK
Par
Par
St Austell, UK
St Austell
St Austell
Cornwall, UK
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

Thanks for all the replies. I'm grateful for the advice on Porthpean as well, I only picked it after seeing a picture so think i'll check out the other places instead.

I think I'll go for River Valley as we don't mind being a bit out of the way and also as you guessed Penetwan is much more expensive!

Thanks again everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Porthpean Beach
Porthpean Beach
174 Reviews
St Austell, UK
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

Blondey, if you have kids, they will love Spit Beach - this has enormous rock pools at low tide. You access it from the St Austell-Par road, there's a pull in on the right by a very low railway bridge ( 6 feet or something). In the "old days" you walked under the bridge and along a pathway to the beach but since the china clay works was built many years ago, there's now a metal catwalk that you walk across.

I went there many times as a child, as did my kids a generation later. The rock pools were once full of prawns, but these days, they seem to have "migrated".

Mentioned in this post
St Austell
St Austell
Cornwall, UK
Par
Par
St Austell, UK
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

Thanks GB I don't have any kids, unless you count my husband :-) But I think I'd enjoy takign a look myself.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

Blondey, if you do stay at River Valley, and want a good pub for meals, try the Polgooth Inn,only about 5mins drive from River Valley. Its a great, old country pub, full of character and the food is hearty and fresh, and great local beers as well.

See the reviews for more info. tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g528878-…

Mentioned in this post
Polgooth Inn
Polgooth Inn
1,597 Reviews
Polgooth, UK
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Austells camping and general suggestions

Thanks Badcat. I can't wait to get it all booked now!

Get answers to your questions about St Austell
More St Austell Topics