We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

st austell in general

reading
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
st austell in general

ive been offered a good deal in st austell but my wife says its a dingy grey town and not worth staying in. anyone fill me in on what its like.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: st austell in general

The Eden Project is well worth a visit, but St Austell did look rather dingy and grey.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
376 reviews
2. Re: st austell in general

I live near there and wouldn't totally disagree with your wife. Its functional but not really a place i would reccomend spending a holiday. Thats the town centre by the way.

You only have to venture a little way outside the town and you have lovely countryside and the sea, so its not all bad, with some lovely little villages.

Where is the place you are thinking of staying, as it may well be fine?

If you just want it as a base, it will probably be ok.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: st austell in general

I agree with Badcat. St Austell itself is a residential town, not at all touristy, but fine for those who live there and go to work.

Bear in mind that postal areas cover a lot of ground, and the place you have been offered might not be in the town itself, but somewhere that's not too bad. Were is it? Maybe one of us might know it and be able to give an opinion.

reading
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: st austell in general

the hotel looks great its a clublacosta resort, but my missus wants a resort like torquay with lots going on etc, personally i think its something to do with shops.

reading
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: st austell in general

its called trenython manor

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
376 reviews
6. Re: st austell in general

Trenython Manor is 3 or 4 miles from St Austell and is situated in pleasant countryside. There is nothing around it. The nearest village, Tywardreath, has a pub, fish and chip shop, butchers and local store. Thats about half a mile away. The riverside town of Fowey is less than 10 mins drive and has good restaurants/pubs and several shops, also river trips and good scenery. Nearest beaches are at Par or Polkerris, both a few mins drive away .

You won't find anything like Torquay in the area though. Not that its a bad thing!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: st austell in general

If she wants something with a lot going on, then you should look at somewhere like Newquay.

reading
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: st austell in general

thanks, i like both types of a break ,love the quiet but the likes of torquay are ok if you go out of season. i really think its a shop thing with women , mind you i have to have acess to sky sports for my football so i suppose its different strokes etc, thanks again

reading
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: st austell in general

thanks , ive been to newquay, i didnt mind it. we tend to go out of season so most of the places are a little less hectic. my real love in cornwall is st ives, i think it is because we spent a lot of family holidays there when i was a kid and it was our first holiday together after we were married in 1975, havent been back since 1978 and i bet its changed some. thanks again for your advise.

Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: st austell in general

We live in Lostwithiel near where you may be staying, and we love it here. Ignore St Austell, as you have other lovely places. Fowey has been mentioned, but you also have Charlestown, Looe, Polpero, Porthpean beach, Mevagissey and loads more.

Hope you have a lovely holiday somewhere in Cornwall.

Chris & Heidi

Get answers to your questions about St Austell
More St Austell Topics