We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

Vernon, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

Was wondering if 5 days would work for driving the oregon coast from vernon bc, we don't need to go all the way down the coast but what would be the best places to stop for photographing scenery, love lighthouses and sea creatures. And best places for seafood, with being on a tight budget.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

Well, you'll want to cross the border onto

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

Don't know how that happened. Then when I tried to edit my posting, I "ran out of time!"

So....let's start over.

You'll want to cross the border onto #539 to Lynden (a cute Dutch Village) and then down I-5 through Seattle to Kelso or Portland before turning west to the coast. That's a very long day, especially considering the time you might spend at the border and getting through Seattle. And you have to make the same trip in reverse to go home.

If you can do this, you'll have three days to spend on the coast and you'll be able to go down as far as Florence before turning east to Eugene/Springfield and heading back north on I-5.

However, if you don't think you want to deal with such long driving days on your first and last days, I don't think you should try and get it all done in just 5 days.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

When do you plan to make this trip? If it is sometime in the summer, it is doable but you will need the longer days of daylight. MapQuest figures Vernon to Astoria at 10 hours and you are still 30 to 40 minutes from the ocean.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

Does MapQuest figure in to the 10 hours rest stops and meal breaks? And the border crossing? Or is it just straight driving time? Just asking, because I don't know and if we have to add that (and a possible traffic jam in the Seattle/Tacoma stretch), it makes for a verrrry long day.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,896 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

Hi Amber S and welcome to TripAdvisor. As oregonpoppa said above, what you are faced with is a very long day's drive to get to the Oregon coast, and then the same going home. So that would allow you three days on the coast.

For lighthouses that you can access, you'll need to go at least as far south as Newport, although there is a small short one at Cape Meares. Newport has budget lodging and great scenery both there and nearby :-)

We have driven from the Newport area to Vancouver airport in about 9+ hours including only a couple of quick food/fuel/facilities stops and border crossing. It was a long day.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

Just a thought..... Between Cape Disappointment State Park in southwest Washington and Manzanita on the north Oregon coast, I think you get pretty much everything you're looking for. Except for maybe the "tight budget" part.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

To clarify, I should have written, "In the area between Cape Disappointment...."

Level Contributor
35,446 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

If you go to Astoria, The Bowpicker is not to miss for fish n chips. It is right across the street from The Maritime Museum. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,896 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

Good idea, thrumylens - and that would include the lighthouses at Cape Disappointment too :-)

There are budget accommodations in Astoria and Seaside - even a couple of places in Cannon Beach.

Amber S, when are you planning this trip?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Vernon BC to the Oregon Coast

I could be wrong, but when I think of someone coming from BC and looking for great seafood, fish and chips don't make the top of my list. Different strokes for different folks, though.