We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

Pleasanton, ca
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

Hi! My husband and I are thinking of moving to Portland. I currently work for Oracle in the California Bay Area and he's a comic book artist. What is the job situation like up there? Is there work for those who are looking for it? Are the taxes very high when it comes to home ownership? Is childcare very expensive? What's are the gas prices like right now? I lived in Seattle for the majority of my childhood so I'm not completely niave about the climate change. I appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks for you help!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,456 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

Hi

The city is growing so fast, new buildings are going up every day..I think there must be a lot of jobs available, but I really do not know for sure.

The real estate market is still pretty crazy, thanks to out of town money driving up the prices, but we are already seeing a big change..many more homes are sitting a long time without selling, prices are being reduced..but in town, the apts go for a lot and with little sq footage.

I think it depends on where you are re: taxes, here in town, a small condo in the NW has taxes of around $3000..a year.

Gas costs around $3.05 for super, under $3.00 for regular.

No idea about childcare..

Mtngrl lives here, owns a home and has children so she will be a great help to you, as will other Portlanders when they see this-

Personally, I would think the sort of work you do now will get you something here..this is an artistic town :)

Good luck, hope this helps, Scarlett

northern Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

We were one foot out the door to move to the area.On our last visit (about 2 weeks agp) we decided against it.Weather ,economy, schools and what we get for our money in houses are some of the reasons that swayed us elsewhere.Coming from Pleasonton I would suspect you wont mind the house prices in Portland..Its lovely in Oregon,but you need to be immune to grey and drizzle as a dominante weather pattern..My husband just couldnt handle it.The city is great and the day drives spectacular,sitll we had other things to consider before a move.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
3. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

To help I think we need to know what you think is expensive in home ownership, taxes, childcare, gas. You and your husband both sound like individuals who would not have a problem finding a job. That said, again what are you thinking you are willing to spend on a place to live, etc?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

I would say it is a fair guess you could upgrade a bit in housing assuming you have a home to sell in Bay Area.

Taxes depend on where you fall in property tax structure in Cal. some firend we have there won't seel and move in Cal because they have low taxes as long time homeowners. If you are like that taxes will go up.

Oregon also has cap on property taxes, but not like Cal. they do keep going up.

we have high income tax, no sales tax. and we count on gamblers to pay many of our bills

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

kipsmom--I am sorry to hear that you won't be moving here, but I understand:) I hope that you find a place that is right for you. It is such a personal decision and I wish you all the best.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

Weather I would say winter you can get doldrums for sure, some people make sure to go tanning to help with the SAD.

For me I try to get out of the house anyway.

Not sure about jobs, we are on the coast and most jobs are lower paying over here.

If it was me I would find a job BEFORE I moved :)

Taxes are not bad, but with two democratic governors the coporation taxes and regulations are often outrageous and tend to drive businesses elsewhere... hopefully this May we'll change that... hint hint LOL

Gas is going to higher everywhere though, says my tanker driving hubby. So I wouldn't worry about that as a determining factor. Portland gets gas right from the ships and pipeline into the Port of Portland.

Childcare .. expect about $2.00/child per hour.. more or less depending on age and facilities. There are in-home daycares that might cut you a break also.

northern Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

Thank you Mtngril,thats very kind. We decided on Asheville NC but still have family in Oregon so will continue our visits.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,456 posts
119 reviews
8. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

kipsmom,

I, too, am sorry you decided against Oregon, where you live is important to your happiness and I wish you luck! I grew up in NC and Asheville was a favorite of ours, my grandfather worked there as a chef for a while.

It is so pretty there, summers are so nice and the Blue Ridge is so wonderful.

Wishing you all the best in your new home!

Come visit us in Portland often though :)

Pleasanton, ca
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

My husband and I rent in Pleasanton. We have been married for a little over a year. We make good living but housing here is so expensive, we could move to a cheaper area but the schools wouldn’t be very good and the commute would be intense. To purchase a 2-bedroom condo in Pleasanton larger then a studio is $500k. We are thinking of moving to Portland because the property is cheaper and we want to start a family. I realize we would make less money in Oregon but if we can save enough here just to get a good start on a home there that would be great! Cooler weather is fine by me; I love the rain and every gray cloud has a silver lining for me!

I think we will rent for a while first and once we are comfortable with our jobs get a house. I agree it would be great to have a job lined up before we move but it doesn't always work out that way. So I know Comcast is a big employer in the area, and Oracle is there too. Anybody else you would recommend? I know the comic book company Dark Horse is located in Portland too. What’s the art scene like? Are there any local job websites like craiglist.org you would recommend? What's the traffic like? Is there a lot of construction on the freeways? How's the Portland Zoo? Are there any great dog runs in the local parks? Is it as coffee obsessed as Seattle? How would you rate the schools? How are the libraries? I appreciate everyone’s incite on this I'm learning quite a bit! Thank you!

northern Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Moving to Portland and Looking for Advice

Scarlett,you are a sweetie! I will be back yearly to visit family and get our Oregon fix.For me,this was a heart breaking decision,but after much brain work on it,Hubbys pick of Asheville finally won as being the best choice for our needs.

Get answers to your questions about Portland