We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions? Day trip to coast

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
290 posts
31 reviews
Suggestions? Day trip to coast

First time visit in a couple of weeks (convention) and have an open Saturday afternoon. I would like to drive to the coast for some scenery. Any suggestions? (Note: I live in southern California so the ocean/beach is not the attraction.) Thanks?

4 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
302 reviews
1. Re: Suggestions? Day trip to coast

Why don't you try the Columbia River Gorge which is a must see area just East of Portland. It is basically along Interstate 84 from Troutdale to Hood River. You could do what is called the "Mt Hood Loop" which is to go out to Hood River, down Highway 35 to the junction of Highway 26 and then start back to Portland on Highway 26. Just past the junction of 35 & 26 is the road up to Timberline Lodge on the slope of Mt Hood. Great food and excellent craft beer that is made nearby at the Lodge.

Not sure what you wanted to know about the coast. There are scenic stretches something like the mid-coast of California along Highway 1 with nice little towns something like Morro Bay and Cambria and scenery something like Big Sur. A nice day trip to the coast would be to go out to Cannon Beach, down Highway 101 to the North end of Tillamook and take Highway 6 back.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,571 posts
1,111 reviews
2. Re: Suggestions? Day trip to coast

A nice 'loop' from Portland is indeed going to Cannon Beach, then south on 101, returning inland on Hwy 6. There are two ways to get to Cannon Beach -- Hwy 26 and Hwy 30 to Astoria. I far prefer the latter since it has much less traffic, much less traffic that is in a *great big hurry*, and I feel the road has more interesting scenery. I drove it to Clatskanie a couple of weeks ago, and it was a pleasant drive, even in the rain. Excellent espresso/coffee shop in Clatskanie, by the way - Farmhouse Coffee.

Astoria is an interesting old port town and it's always fun to cross the bridge :-)

The scenery on Hwy 101 south of Warrenton until you get to about Cannon Beach is rather dull, but south of Cannon Beach it's very nice. Hwy 6 going inland is also a very pretty drive along the Wilson River.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
290 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions? Day trip to coast

Thank you both. Part of the attraction of the coast is that I live in the desert now and I've been craving ocean air. But I had forgotten about the gorge and that sounds good too. Thanks!

Level Contributor
39,332 posts
1,019 reviews
4. Re: Suggestions? Day trip to coast

You might find Astoria very interesting, check out the Columbia River Maritime Museum, The Astor Column, Buoy Beer and The Flavel House. Astoria is rich in American history. 😎

Reply to: Suggestions? Day trip to coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted