We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer snow - help

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
30 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Summer snow - help

I have been to Portland for business in July & could see snow on Mt Hood in the distance. My children, from hot & steamy LA, have never played in snow. (Wife doesn't like skiing.) Is there a place near Portland where they could throw some snowballs or build a snowman. Looking to be I the area in June.

Mentioned in this post
8 replies to this topic
Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,257 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer snow - help

timberline lodge at mt hood

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer snow - help

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer snow - help

To answer your question; No, no place near Portland to throw snowballs. Sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer snow - help

Threw snowballs with my nephews last week at the aforementioned Timberline Lodge -- 90 mins (max) from Portland. You need a car.

Mentioned in this post
Timberline Lodge
Timberline Lodge
1,164 Reviews
Timberline Lodge, OR
Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
30 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer snow - help

Thanks. Looking at Timberline, I was unsure if there was a place just to play in the snow rather than ski. You can tell that I don't really know much about snow.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer snow - help

There's a path from the lobby at the Lodge where you can walk to where ever the snow line is. You can probably take the Palmer Lift up as well without skiiing.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
30 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer snow - help

Thanks

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer snow - help

palmer lift is great, you travel straight up the slope to an attendant waiting for you. they stop the lift and help you off. there is a flat area to stand and a snack shop. you will need sunglasses, hat and sweatshirt for your june visit. Even though it may be warm, it is colder in the thin air, the wind blowing. I went on july 21st, for my 50th birthday and wife, a tiny thin woman, was way undressed for her trip on the lift, you are moving,hence a wind chill. so if it is warm once you arrive you can take sweatshirts off. Stop any of the good will locations to purchase the sweatshirts and then donate them back when you leave.

do some on line geography of the mountains south of Mt. Hood. Interesting facts looking south is a native American Indian reservation is the land east between hood and jefferson, and that at Mt. washington south is more arid on the cascades then between hood and jefferson. and if you and spouse watch the movie Wild. then know that what you see south is the ridge of her trip watch the Shinning with Jack Nicholson so you have idea of timberline as a movie backdrop.

Edited: 14 August 2017, 05:27
Reply to: Summer snow - help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted