We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard Cider or UK Cider

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
36 reviews
Hard Cider or UK Cider

Hi there, I'm Welsh and my drink of choice is Cider

I'm aware that in the US Cider generally isn't that popular and it's named 'Hard Cider'

So I'm looking for some advice on bars in Portland that does a good range of 'Hard Cider' or British or Irish theme bars.

Somewhere that does food as well (nothing fancy, bar food is fine) I'd like to try some American 'Hard Ciders' so themed places would be a back up option.

Other than that, a half decent choice and not too expensive and I'm pretty flexible really

Thanks

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
302 reviews
1. Re: Hard Cider or UK Cider

Ciders are beginning to show up at American pubs and taverns. Unfortunately, most of what is available is adulterated and sweetened like Strongbow. Like the small breweries that are popping up there are small cider works, especially in Washington State, that are producing premium cider but they are at the moment rare finds. I've had the wonderful Scrumpy , cloudy, cider on my various trips to Wales and enjoyed it very much. I would think that a search for good cider would best be made a well stocked tavern or pub that has a very large variety of craft ciders

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2. Re: Hard Cider or UK Cider

Just a thought: Maybe try something different, something American? I know that when I travel, I like to try the local drinks. Even if it means warm beer in the UK.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Hard Cider or UK Cider

Portland now has over 50 craft cider businesses. It's a thing here. In my neighborhood (and generally), Reverend Nat's Hard Cider at 1813 NE 2nd Ave is considered the best. There are many others.

To the previous comments -- I may not be a huge fan, but Portland is now embracing cider in the way it embraced micro-brewing 20+ years ago.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Hard Cider or UK Cider

BTW, for a very authentic Irish bar, there's Kell's -- run by a bloke from Belfast. If you want to dig with the other foot, there's County Cork, on the other side of the river. Many other options. Vibrant ex-pat Irish, Scots, and Brit community here. Don't know about Welsh quite so much, but probably that too.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Hard Cider or UK Cider

Thanks for the help guys

As for trying something local and American, I'm all for trying local and American Hard Ciders, but I don't really like beer and most british beer isn't warm, we drink french, german, belgium and american beers in the UK, most of which are drunk cold. I'm just not a beer fan.

I'm not a big drinker but I do like the taste of cider

As for Nat's, that looks fantastic, a proper cidery, brings joy to my heart, do they serve food as well or are they just a brewery (looks like just drink from their site)

On the ex pat community, the welsh fit in perfectly well with the Irish and the Scots :)

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
302 reviews
6. Re: Hard Cider or UK Cider

Andy, i can well understand that. You might poke around some of the pubs and ask around. Central Washington State is a great apple producing area and well stocked pubs and beer and wine shops in Portland might carry a few interesting craft ciders. A fair warning though cider drinking here is not very common and what there is here tends toward the Strongbow style. It's unfortunate that you don't enjoy beer. We do have the best beer in the world. Lately well stocked pubs might have a tap or two of cider. I'm sure that you will have a fun time in the process of checking that out..

It is a common practice in Oregon pubs to get a small taste of something on tap before you buy a glassful. Also, Oregonians tend to be warm and open and invite polite questioning.

Welcome to Oregon

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
7. Re: Hard Cider or UK Cider

There is actually a lot of NW produced hard cider here. I tend to only like the dry style, not fruity. It is being sold many places out and about now. Many restaurants now carry it along with beer and wine. It is getting quite popular. Seems everywhere we going it's there.

I generally try ciders when I visit my local beer and wine haunt when they have their frequent beer and wine tasting, they often have representatives from cider producers there.

This particular store has a large selection.

http://www.johnsmarketplace.com/Bottles/

Edited: 14 August 2017, 04:13
8. Re: Hard Cider or UK Cider

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2018, 14:18