We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Portland

Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 days in Portland

My husband and I (both early 60's) plant to visit Portland as part of tour of Oregon and Washington. When in Portland we also want to visit Columbia Gorge and Mt Hood. Can't decide if we should stay in Portland itself or get a rental property away from downtown. If we stay downtown I've been looking at the Overton Street apartments. Does anyone have any thoughts please.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,291 Reviews
Portland, OR
Columbia Gorge Hotel
Columbia Gorge Hotel
862 Reviews
Hood River, OR
2 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Portland

The Overton Park Apartments at NW 23rd & Overton are not in what is normally considered "downtown" here -- it's at the edge of what is sometimes called "Nob Hill" or the "Alphabet District" -- essentially residential NW Portland. It's not a bad area, and there is much to do around that end of NW 23rd, but you're a 40 minute walk or a 20+ minute bus ride to downtown. In between there is the hip "Pearl District" and other activities.

That area is also close to one of the main entrances to Forest Park, if you want to do some hiking.

So I would say it's a fine place to stay, close to a couple of good restaurants and lots of shops, but not close to (e.g.) the Portland Art Museum, Pioneer Square (which is under construction anyway), most of the food cart pods, Powell's Books, and other amenities -- but Portland is not that big, so it may not be a concern if you like to walk or if you are comfortable on our exemplary transit system.

Mentioned in this post
Pearl District
Pearl District
996 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland Art Museum
Portland Art Museum
1,007 Reviews
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Portland

Hi

Thanks for your reply and all the details - very helpful! We've decided to look for somewhere in the Pearl District. Hopefully be a little closer to Downtown. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Pearl District
Pearl District
996 Reviews
Portland, OR
Reply to: 3 days in Portland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted