We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Downtown Place to Stay in the Middle of Everything?

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Best Downtown Place to Stay in the Middle of Everything?

Going to Portland soon with family members and we've never been there before. I personally have been trying to figure out what the best touristy things to see.

I remember when we went to seattle we say the needle, highly recommended restaurants, the zoo, the ferris wheel,Pike Place but what are the "musts" for Seattle.

I was told about the "Keep Portland Weird" Wall and Voo Doo Donuts and I know there's a zoo but what are the musts?

We want to stay in Downtown and do more city stuff (no hiking) where we can do most by walking and only take a car/uber if necessary.

What are some good things to see within reasonable walking/traveling distance and what places to stay are technically in the middle.

I mean we were considering Kimpton Vintage but its just too expensive (which isn't a bad thing) but didn't have as many options re: rooms with 2 beds. They had mostly 1 bed options, so we decided Courtyard Marriott but its kinda off to the side...

We are going to be in portland from mid day on a Friday and leaving mid day Sunday so its important we cram as much as possible.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
5 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Downtown Place to Stay in the Middle of Everything?

Portland downtown is incredibly compact- anything downtown will be easily accessible to main tourist areas. Check out the tab for 'things to do' in Portland. City sights include Powells Books, the museums along South Park Blocks, waterfront and Pioneer courthouse square. Consider taking a short trip to Washington Park for great views and strolling the rose gardens. Washington Park attractions easily accessible via Max and the free Washington Park shuttle. Consider NW 23rd Ave or Hawthorne Blvd for shopping.

Im not sure there are any 'must' sees- its all about the vibe, sipping coffee and enjoying your time.

Edited: 01 August 2017, 11:13
Mentioned in this post
Portland City Grill
Portland City Grill
2,100 Reviews
Portland, OR
Pioneer Courthouse Square
Pioneer Courthouse Square
540 Reviews
Portland, OR
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,317 Reviews
Portland, OR
Hawthorne
Hawthorne
35 Reviews
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
38,273 posts
1,004 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Downtown Place to Stay in the Middle of Everything?

Try to see Washington Park! The Rose Garden, Japanese Garden & Oregon Zoo are all right there. 🌹

Mentioned in this post
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,317 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland Japanese Garden
Portland Japanese Garden
5,341 Reviews
Portland, OR
London
Level Contributor
983 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Downtown Place to Stay in the Middle of Everything?

Loads of beer ! Tax free shopping! Are you there at a weekend? If so there is a market on. Go to mothers for brunch. Powell books. The nines hotel roof top bar. Beer tour ?

Level Contributor
38,273 posts
1,004 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Downtown Place to Stay in the Middle of Everything?

The restaurant at The Nines is called Departure Lounge.... we have enjoyed several wonderful meals there! 🌹

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Downtown Place to Stay in the Middle of Everything?

Great idea guys thank you!

Reply to: Best Downtown Place to Stay in the Middle of Everything?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted