We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

HI!

We are doing a small roadtrip between Portland and San Francisco. We want to stop for a night between to two city. Do you have a good place to stop in the middle near the ocean?

Let me know

Thank you

Isabelle

15 replies to this topic
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

630 miles on I-5 SF to Portland. Yreka CA is close to halfway point. Ashland may be more interesting place. When are you doing this? Winter? Near the ocean means 101 which is a lot further.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 01:21
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
2. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

If you're not in a hurry, you might want to consider taking I-5 to Grants Pass and then 199 to Crescent City. that would leave you a fairly long but doable drive through the redwoods and over the Golden Gate Bridge the second day. One thing to consider though: start early. The days are getting shorter and you don't want to be driving in the curvy area around Jedidiah Smith SP and the redwoods at night, especially if it's foggy or raining.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,424 posts
143 reviews
3. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

How many days do you have? It could make the suggestions better oriented to your trip. We could help you better.

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
4. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

Oregonpoppa has given you the route to take if you have only one night. It's about 6 hours from Portland to Crescent City, then about 7+ hours from Crescent City to San Francisco.

The Crescent Beach motel is right on the ocean in Crescent City, as is the Oceanfront Lodge. The newer Ocean View Inn & Suites has an ocean view.

You can read reviews and see pictures here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60944-Crescent_City_…

The Golden Gate Bridge is a toll $ bridge going into SF but it is now cashless, so check the website ahead of time.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

Hi Phirl, I'm planing to this the 3rd of October!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

Thank you so much! I will definitely follow your advice!!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

I'm leaving Portland the 3rd, and I want to be in San Francisco the 4th!| So one night only between the two city!

Isabelle

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

Thank you so much for your advice!!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
9. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

You're welcome and have a good trip :-)

If you do take the route suggested in post #2, be sure to drive Newton Drury scenic parkway, south of Crescent City, south of Klamath. Directions:

Once you cross the bridges at Klamath, the highway becomes freeway. About 3-4 miles on you'll see the exit for Newton Drury. Don't miss it, as it's the only one. This will take you onto old Highway 101 (I remember it well!) that is now a quiet, pleasant drive that winds through thousands of giant redwoods. There are places to stop and walk under the trees. You might like to see the "Big Tree"... it's really big! At the south end, you'll be directed back on to present-day 101, which is again a two lane highway. Without stops, the extra time required for Newton Drury is only about 20-30 minutes. By taking this route, you’ll avoid a rather dull multi lane freeway section that does not have any redwoods along it! This drive is fine for large RVs and commercial coach tours. (Note – this drive is open from dawn to dusk only)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?

awesome thank you so much!!!

Reply to: Best city to stop between Portland and San Francisco?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Orford