We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Portland

Launching Place
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
San Francisco to Portland

Hi, my wife, daughter and I will be leaving Sanfrancisco and travelling to Portland Oregon on the 27th June 2017. Times not really an issue and was thinking 5 or 7 nights, I want to see the Redwoods and Crescent city, we love the outdoors and nature rather than museums etc so if someone could suggest an itinerary of any places we shouldn't miss it would be appreciated, also this is our first trip to USA were from Australia so should I pre book our accomodation as I realise it's your summer break. Thanking you in anticipation. Regards John

5 replies to this topic
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1. Re: San Francisco to Portland

As you exit the Golden Gate Bridge heading north you will be on US-101, which takes you through redwood country. https://goo.gl/maps/n24K1BZH3uv

First night in Trinidad or Ferndale, CA.

www.avenueofthegiants.net

Crescent City doesn't excite me very much...a hop, skip, and jump over the state line and you can stay in Brookings or Gold Beach, OR. Passing through Gold Beach, look out to see for the dramatic sea stacks.

We like Bandon and Yachats.

Go to www.oregoncoastmagazine.com and read their mile-by-mile description of the Oregon Coast, its towns and attractions.

Edited: 09 April 2017, 11:41
Launching Place
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: San Francisco to Portland

Trinidad it is and I'll research Brookings and Gold Beach, a guy at work just mentioned Crescent City so I'm happy not going, thanks very much for taking the time to reply and for including the links I really appreciate it.

Best Regards

John

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: San Francisco to Portland

yes definitely pre-book your accommodations as you'll be coming into our July 4th holiday. Reservations may be hard to find along the coast- particularly anywhere within 2 hours of Portland.

Would also suggest the Rogue River jet boats- really great tour and well worth the time and money.

Edited: 10 April 2017, 01:46
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
4. Re: San Francisco to Portland

>> a guy at work just mentioned Crescent City so I'm happy not going<<

Crescent City has great natural beauty all around it! It would be a shame to miss the only lighthouse on the west coast that you access at low tide across a causeway... that's just one attraction. To read about things to see there, click on the link below for a TripAdvisor Traveler Article:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c1…

However, the town is not as modern or as architecturally pretty as either of the two Oregon towns mentioned. It was totally destroyed in the 1964 earthquake and then the December flood of that year and was rebuilt in that ugly early '60s boxy style.

-

Here is another Traveler Article that will give you a brief description of the Oregon coast towns. The farther north you go, the busier they will be. July 4th weekend will be *extremely* busy from the central coast north :-(

https:/…Towns.Along.Highway.101.html

Launching Place
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: San Francisco to Portland

Thanks very much everybody for taking the time to reply I'll pre book my accomodation and research those towns mentioned a bit more

Best Regards

Reply to: San Francisco to Portland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Orford