We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Hood Village to Government Camp for dinner - winter

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Mt Hood Village to Government Camp for dinner - winter

Are the roads safe to drive between Government Camp and Mt Hood Village in winter in the evening? what is the incline like between two villages. Is it worth staying in Mt Hood Village if wanting to dine in Government Camp? Where is the snowline?

Plenty of ice and snow driving experience but wanting to get an idea of road conditions in winter and if locals drive for dinner.

Trying to avoid repeating lodging mistake as I did for South Lake Tahoe CA/Minden NV where locals don't cross mountain at night. 17 miles was misleading.

Dec/Jan travel.

Many thanks

6 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
307 reviews
1. Re: Mt Hood Village to Government Camp for dinner - winter

Government Camp is at the summit of that grade and a little higher but not much different than Mt Hood Village. It would depend upon whether there is a winter storm coming through or if you are between storms. The incline is straight and gradual. Highway 26 is a major and heavily travelled route so if kept in good condition in winter.

2. Re: Mt Hood Village to Government Camp for dinner - winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 November 2018, 05:45

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Mt Hood Village to Government Camp for dinner - winter

The elevation of Government Camp is around 4,400’, whereas Mt Hood Village is about 1,250’, depending on where in the “village” you are. So I wouldn’t agree with Eddie’s assessment of that drive, and I’d add that I suspecrt that most Mt Hood Village locals driving to dinner are headed in the opposite direction of Government Camp - e.g. Sandy or Portland’s east side.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Mt Hood Village to Government Camp for dinner - winter

I agree with mgventures. The incline, especially as you go towards the huge curve at Mirror Lake Trailhead and on to Government Camp is definitely not gradual. I would not want to be driving back down late at night in winter, even in my Subaru Forester.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Mt Hood Village to Government Camp for dinner - winter

I had to look up 'Mt Hood Village' since I hadnt heard of it before- it sounds like its considered the Welches area. If thats the case, then these are significantly different elevations. Depending on the current weather conditions, the snow line will definitely be somewhere between Government Camp(at the summit) and Mt Hood Village. I agree w/ O'Explorer that isnt something I'd want to do late at night in my Subaru either(unless i was 25 and invincible).

And I agree about dining options- im not sure there is anything so special in Gvmt Camp that you couldn't find similar dining options near Mt Hood Village.

Edited: 19 November 2018, 06:04
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Mt Hood Village to Government Camp for dinner - winter

please note that Government Camp is considerably smaller than S Lake Tahoe.

Reply to: Mt Hood Village to Government Camp for dinner - winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted