We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Portland to MT Hood then to Bend

Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Driving from Portland to MT Hood then to Bend

experts I am driving from Portland suggested route? I want to spend time seeing MT Hood (Timberline Lodge) short hike then driving to BEND. given it is only a day trip appreciate suggestions.

3 replies to this topic
Roseburg, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Portland to MT Hood then to Bend

Smith Rocks State Park near Terrebonne is a scenic stop for hiking, rock climbing and photography.

Edited: 01 September 2018, 07:03
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,195 posts
6,438 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Portland to MT Hood then to Bend

Portland to Columbia River Gorge

Get to Hood River

Drive to Mt. Hood

then continue on US26 and then to US97S

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,905 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Portland to MT Hood then to Bend

You have two options. One is to head to the gorge via I-84 from Portland, then at Hood River get onto 35, then 26 for Timberline. After that head back on 26 the same way you came to head to Bend. Another option is to bypass the gorge and from Portland head out on 26, stop at Timberline, and continue on to Bend. From Portland to Bend, bypassing the gorge, this usually takes us about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. As for which one to take, it just depends on how much time you want to take and what your interests are, and time of year (gorge can be icy in the winter). Both of these routes are nice and we have done them numerous times.

Reply to: Driving from Portland to MT Hood then to Bend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted