We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hood River

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Hood River

What’s the most scenic route to take from Kelso to Columbia River Gorge?

3 replies to this topic
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
142 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Hood River

Could take a very long drive kind of along the coast- up into Sisters through the mountains pass historic Timberline Lodge then drop down into Hood River on 35..

Depends on how scenic and how much time you have.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
102 reviews
231 helpful votes
2. Re: Hood River

Where in the gorge are you looking to go? Are you headed there to stay the night or just wanting to take in the sights and then move on? It makes a difference in what I would suggest:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
3 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Hood River

The route MrsO describes is one that visitors might spend a week or more on, overnighting in various towns along the coast, in central Oregon, and on Mt. Hood. But it’s only 65 miles +/- from Kelso to the western end of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, so if your primary objective is to just get from one place to the other, I-5 is the only reasonable route. Exit onto I-205 north of Vancouver WA, cross the Columbia, then get onto I-84 east. A few miles after Troutdale is where the scenic section of the Gorge begins. Alternatively, you could get off I-205 onto SR 14 in Vancouver and drive the WA side of the Columbia, crossing at Cascade Locks or Hood River.

Reply to: Hood River
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted