We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
17 posts
Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?

I am looking at visiting the Hood River area Sunday (landing Portland late morning) and returning home Thursday. Not sure if we'll take a day or night flight home yet. I'll be with my 19 yo son- we like photography, hiking, galleries, sightseeing, etc.

I figured Sunday thru Tuesday we would cover the CRG and Mt. Hood. So the question is should we spend the last day in Portland or spend another day in the Hood River area? or somewhere else?

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,430 posts
142 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?

It would depend on your 'druthers....... Do you mean downtown ?

Portland is a city. Surrounded by Washington and river.. So going over a bridge to a lovely city with nice architecture, many restaurants, one way streets, congestion, and..city to see a city is your thing- yes. At least take a drive for half day..

But if you are serious about your likes (even Maryhill Museum should fill your gallery like out in the CRGNSA.) then I would just explore the Gorge and Mt Hood. Maybe take a whitewater trip at Zoorafts. You can check out the ride on youtube.. They are in White Salmon, WA in the Gorge.

Have fun.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,372 posts
3,388 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?

Gorge and Mt Hood is an excellent idea, and so is Portland.

Portland merits a visit.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?

I don’t know how to respond to “worth it” questions other than to turn them around and ask, what about a visit to Portland would make it worth it to you? We’ve got a world class food scene (not to mention wine and craft beer), beautiful parks and gardens, galleries and a nice art museum, all with an easily walkable downtown. Plus Washington and Forest Parks, and other areas where you can hike in a forest setting, literally just a few minutes away.

To your other questions, are you aware that sections of the Columbia River Gorge are still closed due to wild fires last fall? Closures include many hiking trails and a section of the historic highway 30, which limits and/or restricts access to several waterfalls and trailheads. Highway 30 probably won’t reopen until the fall, so if you’re planning to visit before then... As to other areas you might visit, have you considered the coast? It’s only 90 minutes from Portland and completely different from what you experience on the Atlantic Coast. Bottom line IMO; if I’m in your shoes, I’m planning only one night in CRG/Mt. Hood, two at the coast, and one in Portland. Or, two in Portland with a day trip to CRG/Mt. Hood.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
34 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?

If it were me, I would choose to stay around the Hood River/ Mt. Hood area and continue exploring. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Portland. As far as large cities go, it is a decent place to live. But, despite Portland's self-proclaimed "weirdness" (whatever that means), it is really not much different than any other medium-large city in the U.S. Certainly there are things to see and do, but very few things that you can't do in most other cities as well. The Mt. Hood area, however, is one-of-a-kind.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,567 posts
1,111 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?

>>It would depend on your 'druthers......<<

Exactly! It's almost impossible for us to make a decision like this for you, since we don't know you. I'm also not a city person and would rather go just about anywhere than in a big city. Especially since there are so many homeless/vagrant camps all around Portland. But posters 1 and 3 give you some idea of the better attractions of the city.

I think a trip to the north coast is a good idea. Cannon Beach is very very busy this time of year, but you could see beautiful Ecola SP, famous Haystack Rock, shoppes, galleries, historic Hug Point, brew pubs...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
17 posts
6. Re: Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?

Many thanks to all of you for your feedback. My comment about 'worth it' was because if you look at the TripAdvisor Things To Do page on Portland, it lists a bunch of day trips out of the city! So I was wondering what do visitors do IN the city. I was thinking I actually needed to get offline and see what travel books my library might have. MGVentures, thank you for your suggestions. I didn't realize there were still closures, so the coast is a great idea. But now I'm thinking we should wait so we can do a longer trip and fit more in and see it all. I appreciate all the feedback!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,430 posts
142 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?

The closures are indeed there. But there is so much to see in the Gorge that if you didn't go search it out it would hardly be visible. Many stay on 84 and see Cascade Locks, Multnomah Falls, Bonneville Dam and Locks (you can go down in working locks- fascinating) Hood River, The Dalles, back to Hood River and up 35 to historic Timberline Lodge.. you won't lack for beauty. Just sayin'.

Reply to: Itinerary help- worth squeezing Portland in?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted