We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

USA
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
154 reviews
worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

We will be driving from Bend to Hood River. Is it worthwhile to stop at the Timberline Lodge? I know it is a famous place but what is the attraction for someone who is not staying there? Is it the view of Mount Hood? Or the Lodge itself that is worth seeing? Thanks.

18 replies to this topic
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
32 posts
38 reviews
11. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

No, I changed my mind TO stop there, previously was not planning on it! Sorry for the confusion!

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
32 posts
38 reviews
12. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

Also, we would not plan on skiing, but you can take the lift up and down or hike down.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
302 reviews
13. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

Both dining areas are sit down and be waited on service. The Rams Head is less formal, is open more hours and does not require reservations. The Cascade Room is open a limited number of hours, requires reservations and has more of a fine dining menu for lunch and dinner. Food at both is outstanding and a find. Beer on tap is made in the the neighboring ski village of Government Camp and is excellent.

Edited: 13 July 2018, 09:44
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
14. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

I don't consider buffet fixed price $25 lunch fine dining.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,567 posts
1,111 reviews
15. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

Are any buffets anywhere "fine dining"?

The very nature of a buffet means probably not ;-)

London, United...
1 post
16. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

My husband and I stopped at Timberline Lodge on our way from Portland to Bend last month – it's amazing! The views are incredible and the building's magnificent. There was a buffet in the Cascades restaurant so we ate in the Ram's Head Bar and the food was quick, affordable and excellent.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
302 reviews
17. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

Thank you for your input. As I like to pointed out Timberline Lodge is a beautiful and interesting place that is much underrated and a worthwhile stop for those visiting Oregon and going through the Gorge as part of the "Mt Hood Loop" or a larger loop route through Oregon. A first time visitor might well consider it a find

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,567 posts
1,111 reviews
18. Re: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge

And don't forget the beautiful St Bernards :-)

Reply to: worth a stop at Timberline Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted