We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Hood River and then to Mount Hood

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
Portland to Hood River and then to Mount Hood

Our plane lands at noon and we wondered if it would be rushed to travel from Portland to Hood River and then to Mount Hood. We know the gorge is said to be a must see, but didn’t know if there are a lot of stops along the way. Appreciate any suggestions. Also, since it’s a Saturday, most hotels require 2 night stay so would you stay in Hood River or Mount Hood for 2 days?

5 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Portland to Hood River and then to Mount Hood

I would stay in Hood River- it has more amenities. I think it would be very rushed to drive through the gorge and Mt Hood in a half day. There are many stops in the gorge, even with the current closures from last years fire- well worth a minimum half day exploration. Given its your travel day its likely you'll be tired(or i usually am) so it might be better to keep it simple and stay in Hood River.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Portland to Hood River and then to Mount Hood

I did not even know about the fire. Is it even worth it to make the drive along the gorge?

Edited: 26 June 2018, 20:57
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,437 posts
142 reviews
3. Re: Portland to Hood River and then to Mount Hood

Yes. It is beautiful.

I second Hood River but what is your next destination?

Historic Timberline Lodge has great views and is a very nice drive if you love mountain scenery. Go up 35.

Edited: 26 June 2018, 23:28
Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Portland to Hood River and then to Mount Hood

We will be leaving Hood River with a stop at Mt. Hood and Timberline Lodge. Then, we are headed to Crater Lake, but trying to decide if we should drive all the way or stop in Bend for the night. Staying in Klamath Falls for one night after exploring Crater Lake. Then want to spend the last few days at the beach. Thinking Newport and/or Cannon Beach.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,437 posts
142 reviews
5. Re: Portland to Hood River and then to Mount Hood

The beautiful 5 mile driveway for Timberline is kind of the junction of 35/26. You can take 26 over the mountains if you are adventureful and go clear to the coast. Beautiful drive but it takes time.

Reply to: Portland to Hood River and then to Mount Hood
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted