We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fire Damage from 2017 Fires

Williamstown NJ
Level Contributor
470 posts
237 reviews
Fire Damage from 2017 Fires

We will be visiting the area June 9-11 staying in Hood River.'Where is the fire damage and what is closed for hiking and exploring?

We will be coming from Portland and going to Mt Rainier after visiting area.

3 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
309 reviews
1. Re: Fire Damage from 2017 Fires

The drive on Interstate 84 is very much as beautiful as ever. Much of the Old Highway and several of the off ramps to falls are closed. The off ramp to Multnomah Falls is open and you can view it from the base. Going on you can cross the river and take Highway 14 on the Washington side back toward Interstate 205 and then interstate 5. Highway 14 is the lesser route through the Gorge but gives an alternative perspective that is interesting and makes for a good return drive.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Fire Damage from 2017 Fires

This map gives you the current lay of the land: https:/…RSG_post_fire_map_4_6_18.pdf . Pretty self explanatory, but in short, it shows that access is restricted to all but a few waterfalls, and most trails are still closed. Note, however, that you can access Multnomah Falls from I-84, but the trail to the top is closed. Portland Women's Forum and Vista House are accessible from hwy 30, as are Latourell and Bridal Veil Falls. You'd have to backtrack to 84 to continue east, though.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Fire Damage from 2017 Fires

Actually, mg, luckily you don't have to backtrack to get back onto 84 to continue east. I was there a few weeks ago. My sister and I drove along the historic hwy., stopping at Portland Women's Forum for lovely view ofthe river. You can then drive past Latourell Falls park lot and Bridal Veil and on past Vista House, when shortly thereafter you can access Hwy 84 going east without backtracking.

Just a note, though, as you get closer and closer to Eagle Creek area (you will be on 84), try to concentrate onlp looking at the Columbia River view instead of looking to the right. Sorry, I have to be honest. Yes, the entire gorge area is still magnicent, but that area at Eagle Creek is pretty much "ground zero" . Just try to appreciate the entire gorge,there is still beauty to be found :)

Edited: 18 May 2018, 02:22
Reply to: Fire Damage from 2017 Fires
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted