We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia River Gorge

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
9 posts
282 reviews
Columbia River Gorge

We are taking a trip in late July to the Coast but plan on extending our trip to add the Columbia River Gorge for two nights. There are many choices and I was wondering if anyone had any favorite hotels that you could recommend under $200/night that are nice. I'm looking for an ideal location where we have views near restaurants and shops and maybe some wineries. Our friends stayed at the Skamania lodge in Washington but this may be a bit out of our price range. Is the Hampton Inn a good spot? Thanks so much.

4 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
307 reviews
1. Re: Columbia River Gorge

Skamania is a favorite of mine. Tell you what, if ever you were to splurge on something this would be it. Otherwise Hood River is a really nice town.

I've stayed in The Dalles a couple of times. At The Dalles we got a good deal on a room at Shilo Inn.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
9 posts
282 reviews
2. Re: Columbia River Gorge

Thank you. We did splurge on a beach condo in Lincoln City but since our 20th anniversary to St. Martin was canceled, I feel as if we should stay at Skamania. We are from Pittsburgh and doubt if we will revisit the area.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Columbia River Gorge

Skamania is nice, and has nice views, but it’s relatively isolated, without restaurants, shopping and wineries nearby. So frankly, all things considered, IMO Hood River is a better fit for you. Check out the Best Western Hood River Inn. Not your typical Best Western. Or if you’re still of a mind to splurge, have a look at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel. Another place with a great location and lots of charm and character is the Hood River Hotel. Any of the three would IMO be a better choice than the cookie-cutter Hampton, and given what you say you’re looking for, maybe Skamania too.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4. Re: Columbia River Gorge

I live in Hood River andave lived here 15 years. Best Western (Hood River Hotel) is a great hotel and it wont break your wallet. River Views and a great resturante with fabulous Chef. Town is 5 minutes away and you can easily walk to down town to all teh resturants coffee shops or along the waterfront west where more resutantes and a coffe shop can be found across the street from Waterfront park. Hampton Inn is also nice and in close proximity to BEst Western,.

Reply to: Columbia River Gorge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted