We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternate options?

iowa
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Alternate options?

Hi! We are staying in Hood River for 7 nights starting tomorrow(!) and would appreciate some suggestions, or to be pointed to a current thread, about scenic hikes and sights to see and do around Hood River that don't involve the fire affected areas.

I'm usually much more prepared than this but have done little research on what to do this time. I'm running the half marathon on Sunday so I do have a few more days to plan. It's sad how many lives are negatively affected by a few careless, irresponsible kids playing with fireworks!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Alternate options?

You can head east (either on OR hwy 84 towards The Dalles or cross the river and take Washington hwy 14) out to the very cool Maryhill Museum. Several wineries along hwy 14 on the way. Plus visit the Stonehenge Memorial near Maryhill Museum.

An alternative to taking OR hwy 84 is to pick up the Historic Columbia Highway in Mosier and follow it east to the amazing Rowena Crest Viewpoint at the Tom McCall Preserve. Some fantastic views plus lots of walking if the weather suits.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Alternate options?

good website listing the hikes that are open in the gorge- you'll probably need to do additional research as to which ones would best suite you. All/most areas on the Washington side are still accessible. Cape Horn, Catherine Creek, Columbia Hills State Park, Dog Mtn

https://gorgefriends.org/hike-the-gorge/colu…

oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Columbia_River_…

3. Re: Alternate options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2018, 16:21