We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I visit Columbia River Gorge next week?

Level Contributor
17 posts
32 reviews
Should I visit Columbia River Gorge next week?

Sep 15 I posed a question seeking alternative bro 2 nts Hood River due to fires & got great suggestion of Silverton which I've booked. Now I'm wondering if it's reasonable to switch back to 2 nts Hood River to visit Gorge, Multnomah Falls, see Timberline Lodge,etc. If I do it today I have time to avoid cancelation penalties. Although Oregon Gardens which is current plan looks great, this will be my only time in Oregon. I've also bread there's a anger of flash floods in Gorge & wondering about smoke. Also would tourists be in the way now? We're not hiking at all...just sight seeing. Is it still beautiful or will we only see burned landscape? I just don't know what tondo and need hep ASAP. We're Flying to Portland Monday (from Ft Lauderdale). Thanks in advance.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
200 reviews
21. Re: Should I visit Columbia River Gorge next week?

Most Oregon tourists come seeking natural wonders, magnificent sea and landscapes, pioneer history...even beer. If they want drama, we suggest volcanoes, rock and mountain climbing and a quick swim in the cold Pacific or a mountain lake.

We usually do our best to warn about areas suffering fire, thick smoke, deep snow, etc.

Not everyone heeds or appreciates our warnings. More than a few have insisted on taking winter "short cuts" on dangerous forest roads, for example.

The only thing regulars on this forum always agree on is wanting visitors to have a great time and lots of wonderful experiences in Oregon.

Please get back to us and tell us about your experiences and impressions.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
22. Re: Should I visit Columbia River Gorge next week?

Absolutely come to Hood River and out the Gorge. The Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area is not to be missed. The fire is in mop up phase and the air is clear and there is tons to do and places to go. Business is open as usual and the views are amazing. Check out http://hoodriver.org/i-love-hood-river/

hood river, oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
23. Re: Should I visit Columbia River Gorge next week?

I'm glad to hear you are coming to the Gorge! As a longtime resident, I'm happy to say in trips through the fire damaged area I'm relieved that the Gorge is still beautifully scenic. It's interesting how the fire hopped ridges, and definitely singed swaths of forest land. You can see how close it came to Cascade Locks, but surprisingly there are still huge areas that are lushful and green. It's still a gorgeous place. Although the historic highway is closed, half of the Gorge's beauty is across the river in Washington State. There is so much to do -- drive through the Hood River Valley on the way to Timberline and stop at fruit stands full of freshly harvested fruit, wine taste. If you hike, I would plan that for Mt. Hood or Mt. Adams areas. Keep us posted how your trip goes!

24. Re: Should I visit Columbia River Gorge next week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2018, 14:18