We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with driving route

Queensland
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with driving route

I posed this at the end of another post i made and also in the Kansas forum. Thought i'd start a new thread and hopefully get a response.

We will be driving from Tulsa to Hutchinson Kansas and want advice on the best route to go.

We are going to leave in the morning from Tulsa and drive to Woolaroc and have a look there. Then drive to Bartlesville for lunch at Murphy's Steakhouse.

The next part i am not sure on yet is which route to take to Hutchinson from there. It's either head north into Kansas and then West to Wichita. I'm not sure what kind of country we will be driving through there... My husband would be happy to drive past grain farms.

Or the other option as someone mentioned could also be a nice drive is to head west from Bartlesville, through Ponca city and then up to Hutchinson.

So if you have any suggestions on which way to go and what we'll see along the way, i'd love to hear about it!

Also on google maps, a part of oklahoma just west of Bartlesville is shaded, can i ask a silly questions and say why??

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with driving route

I would suggest that you simply head west (left) from Murphy's along Frank Phillips Blvd to Hwy 60, then continue west along Hwy 60 until you come to the intersection with Hwy 99, about 5 miles before you get to Pawhuska. Go north on Hwy 99 until you hit Hwy 54, just east of Eureka, KS. Take 54 west through the town of El Dorado and continue for a few miles until you pass the I-35 toll road, then after another mile or so, turn north on 196. Follow 196 to I-135 and take it north for a couple of miles to the Hwy 50/Hutchinson exit, and follow Hwy 50 west to Hutchinson. These roads will mostly be small two-lane roads, with no parking "shoulders", so if you like a wide comfy road, it may not be the route for you, but you will see more interesting countryside this way, than if you head west through Ponca City and take I-35 north. Following the Ponca City route, the terrain becomes pretty bleak once you leave Pawhuska, with the most interesting sight along the way being the oil refinery at Ponca City. My suggested route will also let you bypass Wichita, which is also not a pretty sight, at least not from the highway.

The shaded area on the map is Osage County, otherwise known as the Osage Indian Nation. Ownership on Native American lands is a very complicated mix of rights which I can't explain, but suffice it to say that the map is shaded to denote the fact that it is a form of tribal land.

2. Re: Need help with driving route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 16:20
Get answers to your questions about Tulsa