We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tex Mex in Tulsa

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tex Mex in Tulsa

I'm from Tulsa but haven't spent time there in 18 years, so I need help! Chimi's used to be the spot to eat great tex-mex. Are there any new, fun, hip Mex Tex spots?? Is Chimi's still good?? I'll be there next Thursday night for a family dinner and I want good tex-mex...not a lot of that here in Minneapolis!

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tex Mex in Tulsa

Abuelo's, on 71st, just east of Hwy 169 is very good. It's a large place, noisy and busy. Haven't eaten at Chimi's in years, but agree that it was once quite good. There's another place in the Brookside area that has been there for a few years and is also good. Have only eaten there once, and can't remember what it's called. Maybe someone else can name it.

Tulsa, OK
Destination Expert
for Tulsa
Level Contributor
207 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tex Mex in Tulsa

Best newcomer is El Guapo, downtown. Owned by the son from Nelson's (long since closed), who also owns McNellies (great burgers & beer, also downtown). Definitely worth a visit.

I tend to stay away from national chains. Best "local" chain is Mexicali, with several locations (downtown & also 71st & Sheridan are 2 I've frequented).

Senor Tequila's is another "local" chain, which has a couple of locations in town. Mexican owned & operated; you'll find Mexican soccer on TV in the bar all the time.

I used to go to Chimi's a lot, but got tired of it even tho it's only 2 blocks from my home. I'm sure it's still pretty good, just hasn't changed probably since you lived here (except it did move to the corner of 15th & Peoria since you were last here).

All the above have very good food & it's hard to mess up a margarita so long as you get one with 100% agave tequila.

Tulsa, OK
Destination Expert
for Tulsa
Level Contributor
207 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tex Mex in Tulsa

The Brookside restaurant is Cafe Ole, 35th & Peoria. Also very good + an outside deck with heaters, in case it's a nice day/evening when you're there. Small & intimate. Good food.

4. Re: Tex Mex in Tulsa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 12:18