We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

Lincoln Park...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

Two part question here:

I am planning a family vacation for next year and i cannot decide on GWL or Kalahari. As of now it will be me, my fiancé, and our daughter (she will be 2 at the time we go). I am just wondering, which one would be better for all of us? And what makes on better than the other (as far as for toddlers/smaller children)

The second part is: When is the best time to go? I usually plan my vacation time for July and October. I would obviously rather go in July but am not sure if it will be crazy busy (i am planning on going probably Sunday through Tuesday). Any advice would help. Thanks:)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

See "Which water park to visit" in the Sandusky Tips top question linked in the right margin.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

A big consideration as for timing is whether you want to do anything else in the area, such as visit the Lake Erie islands, hike, visit beaches, or even visit Cleveland attractions. See again, the top questions in the right margin or check out the Cleveland Tips travel article in the top questions of the Cleveland destination forum.

East Harbor State Park has a gently sloping beach that is great for toddlers.

Note that HalloWeekends are taking place at Cedar Point on October weekends.

Cleveland and Toledo both have good zoos. Both are about an hour from Sandusky.

Enjoy Sandusky!

Edited: 10 December 2015, 03:12
Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
284 reviews
3. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

TE, I don't seem to have the same right margin as you... My right margin has the following sections: Friends' activity nearby, 18 friends have been to Sandusky & nearby towns, Top questions about Sandusky (no waterpark topics here, it is all Cedar Point), Sandusky trip ideas (this section is blank), Sandusky Destination Experts, Beyond destination forums, and Explore other Sandusky resources.

Lincoln Park...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

Mine is showing similar to yours. I don't have the "Which water park to visit" option.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
284 reviews
5. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

For your first question, I would suggest reading previous posts for a quick answer:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50940-i266-k87121…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50940-i266-k86965…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50940-i266-k83668…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50940-i266-k82825…

What makes one better than the other, personal preference... (we had a bad experience at Kalahari).

Best time to go… During the week while kids are in school. They will probably be busy in July.

Are you visiting Cedar Point while you are in Sandusky? If so, I would highly suggest Castaway Bay, as it will allow early entry into Cedar Point before the main gates open.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

The first top question (perhaps only available on computers or tablets and not mobile devices) is "What are some tips for visiting Sandusky and the Cedar Point area?" It links to a travel article with many threads on many subjects.

Here's the direct link to the travel article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50940-c220108/Sandus…

In that travel article, there are four threads linked under "Which water park to choose for a visit?" Two of the threads discuss the best water parks for little kids, with, from memory, some input from you.

Edited: 10 December 2015, 03:26
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

The absence of availability of "Top Questions" on mobile devices is a lament on many TA forums. It's something for users to keep in mind, as top questions in many forums contain the best, most comprehensive and detailed advice.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

Not all top questions provide links to travel articles. Some provide links directly to threads.

Persons with mobile devices can use a search engine to find travel articles for a destination. E.g., search for "Sandusky OH tripadvisor travel articles." This works well at least with Google, and is easier than using TA to find travel articles. ☺

Note that most travel articles are actual prose and not a compendium of TA links. In all cases with TA travel articles, click on the history of the travel article to see how recently it has been updated. Sometimes, unless edited frequently, the material becomes dated.

Once you find travel articles for a destination, note other travel articles listed in the right margin. Often, especially for larger destinations, some very good travel articles aren't listed in the right margin due to space constraints. Click on "View all articles" at the bottom of the travel article listings to get all travel articles for a destination.

Lincoln Park...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

No, I don't believe we will be visiting cedar point. I think that would be too much for our daughter. And I will definitely look into the links you guys provided. Thank you:)

Edited: 11 December 2015, 02:03
Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
284 reviews
10. Re: Great wolf lodge or Kalahari?

Alexandria S, every child is different so I can't say your daughter will like it, but Cedar Point does have kiddie and family rides for toddlers.

If you are concerned about your daughter with the crowds, you may want to consider driving a little further to Erie and visit Waldameer. Waldameer is a nice clean and classic amusement park with a nice water park too. We took our daughter there three times last year, her first trip was at 17 months and she loved riding all the kiddie rides and the train.

http://www.waldameer.com/