We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hocking Hills Area-Backcountry Camping??

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Hocking Hills Area-Backcountry Camping??

I am going on a weekend camping trip to Hocking Hills State Park next weekend and am trying to find a good place to camp in the backcountry. I prefer to stay away from the campgrounds if possible and camp on a backcountry trail or primitive campsite. I am having difficulties finding a place like this to camp in the park..everywhere seems to be within a designated campground. Both Wayne National Forest and Zaleski National Forest seem to allow backcountry camping in certain areas but I am unfamiliar with these parks and understand they are about a half an hour away from Hocking Hills State Park? Does anyone have any suggestions for where I could camp or if Zaleski or Wayne National forest would be a better camping option for me? Also, I am coming from Cincinnati so the place that is either closer to Cincinnati or to Hocking Hills State Park would be the best. Thanks!!

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
747 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Hocking Hills Area-Backcountry Camping??

My husband has hiked and camped at Zaleski even though we live right in Logan near the Hocking Hills. If you absolutely prefer backcountry camping, Zaleski would be more to your liking. There is about a 15 mile trail, and also a shorter loop if you prefer. Zaleski doesn't offer the awesome waterfall like Cedar Falls or Ash Cave, but is still scenic. If you hike and camp at Zaleski, you might still want to stop by the Hocking Hills to see the sights. None of the hikes, especially Ash Cave, take a long time.

I hope this helps.

2. Re: Hocking Hills Area-Backcountry Camping??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 17:17