We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Norfolk to Bowell

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
New Norfolk to Bowell

Hi,

Would like to check if anyone know if one can get to Lake St Claire from New Norfok via Bowell? If so, what is the driving time and distance like? How long would the journey take? From New Norfolk to Bowell and then from Bowell to Lake St Claire?

I am thinking of going from Hobart to New Norfolk to Bothwell and then Lake St Claire and then to Cradle Mountain.. Are there driving roads along such a way?

What is there to do at New Norfolk and Bothwell that will interest young children?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Carol

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
64 reviews
37 helpful votes
1. Re: New Norfolk to Bowell

New Norfolk to Bothwell is a lovely drive, incredibly scenic of rolling farmlands as you follow the river and railway line. The road is very good highway, not much traffic. Driving in Tasmania I think is the nicest roads in Australia.

New Norfolk is a historic town with pleasant gardens to wander about. The ground of the old mental hospital are worth a walk around and when I was there a second hand market in the former nurses building.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
64 reviews
37 helpful votes
2. Re: New Norfolk to Bowell

I am no expert, but it does appear you would have to back track from Bothwell to Derwent Bridge / Lake St Caire???

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
3. Re: New Norfolk to Bowell

Thanks a lot for the reply.

What do you mean by back track from Bothwell to Derwent Bridge/Lake St Claire?

Can I drive from Bothwell to Lake St Claire directly?

Hoping for a more direct and faster route to Lake St Claire and not via Queenstown nor staying at Strahon.

Bothwell looks really interesting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
64 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: New Norfolk to Bowell

Ah yes there is the connecting road to take you down to Ouse. I have never taken it.

You would not need to go to Strahan to go from Bothwell to Derwent Bridge for Lake St Claire? Why would you think you need to go via Strahan?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
5. Re: New Norfolk to Bowell

Great! Thanks a lot. I just not wishing to go longer way and trying to avoid long drives too.

So I am now thinking of taking a break at Bowell after checking out at New Norfolk. Spend some time at Bowell and then drive down to Lake St Claire since now you confirmed that is a connecting route without going to Strahan and moving on to Cradle Mountain.

So Bothwell to Lake St Claire will take me how long? and also from Lake St Claire to Cradle? Do you have any idea?

Thanks.

Reply to: New Norfolk to Bowell
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Norfolk
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.