We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Willow Court ASYLUM

Tasmania
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
19 helpful votes
Willow Court ASYLUM

If you are driving thru or staying in the Derwent Valley I would defiantly suggest driving or walking thru the Historic Willow Court & Royal Derwent Hospital.

Willow Court & Royal Derwent Hospital currently comprises of approx 16 buildings set amongst the Lachlan River.

Walking thru the grounds and buildings is like stepping back in time when people with mental illness and disabilities were institutionalised. There is a vast range of architectural designs dating as far back as 1830’s to the more modern Wards of around 1960. Walking through or past this historic site gets you thinking if Walls could talk what stories could they tell?

There is a public road and footpath that travels through Willow Court and Royal Derwent, so you are able to drive or stroll thru Willow Court and Royal Derwent and see most of the buildings via these options without fear of trespass. These Roads are The Ave, Lower Rd, Ring Rd and Glebe Rd New Norfolk.

There are plenty of places to park the car if you would like to stroll through Willow Court. Along the Lachlan River is a scenic walking track that takes you the entire way to Tynwald Park which I recommend.

This site is currently in Private & Local Council Ownership. To gain legal access to the Wards you would need to ask permission.

The Willow Court & Barracks Committee often holds a Willow Court Open Day, where several of the wards including the Barracks (1830) and Carlton House are open to the Public. The next open day will be during the Annual Derwent Valley Autumn Festival.

Some of the Wards in private ownership have been reused and is open to the public. The former Olga Ward is one of the best antique shops that I have had the pleasure of going into Alcheringa has been converted into the Willow Court Motel and the Olive Tree Restaurant, The old Church is now the Patchwork Café which is a quilting shop and café. On the Royal Derwent Site (Ring Rd) is another excellent antique shop Ring Rd Antiques. All these places have websites

A lot of people take the risk and gain entry to the wards without seeking permission. If people chose to do so I would recommend that you take care and watch where you step and some of the flooring in the Wards around the oval is unsafe.

I would recommend wearing strong shoes and take a torch because some of these Wards are dark and have been badly vandalised or damaged due to age and neglect. Remember it’s at your own risk.

For more information on all the above please visit my website http://www.royalderwent.com where there is Ward descriptions, video walkthrough’s, pictures, maps, real life stories and paranormal stories.

Nick Jarvis

http://www.royalderwent.com

5 replies to this topic
Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
39,862 posts
67 reviews
311 helpful votes
1. Re: Willow Court ASYLUM

Jarvo,

This is very interesting stuff and you know I'm interested in seeing the older barracks area of Willow Court. I would love to see this area opened up to the public again.

If I get a chance today, I'll turn this into a Traveller Article for New Norfolk.

While I'll probably include the link to your bizarro website as there's some interesting stuff there, I won't make it quite such an obvious plug. And I'll have to omit the bits about sneaking into the old wards, too. :))

Luigi

Tasmania
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Willow Court ASYLUM

Not a problem Luigi

If you do move it to a traveller article could you also leave it here on the forum because I would like people to be aware that if they go in there sneaking they need to take care and be prepared.

Part of the Barracks will be Opened in April for the Derwent Valley Autumn Festival, so you should come up and check it out.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
39,862 posts
67 reviews
311 helpful votes
3. Re: Willow Court ASYLUM

I don't have the Mystical Powers to be able to remove posts. :))

I'll just copy and paste from your post to an article and then I'll post a link to it here.

Luigi

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
39,862 posts
67 reviews
311 helpful votes
4. Re: Willow Court ASYLUM

I have put this new info into the Traveller Article you created last month, Jarvo.

I have editted it somewhat, but please note that your website link is still in larger font than the other two purely historic ones. :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g504312-d1994837/New-Norfolk:Australia:Willow.Court.Asylum.html

Luigi

Tasmania
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: Willow Court ASYLUM

LOL

No worries thanks Luigi

Reply to: Willow Court ASYLUM
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Norfolk
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.