We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jenolan & Kanangra Boyd National Park

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Jenolan & Kanangra Boyd National Park

Hello All,

We are thinking of doingJenolan & Kanangra Boyd National Park in one day. We are renting a car in sydney and driving there in the morning. Its a long day i know but is it feasible? Any recommendations. Hoping for lots of wildlife. Family of 4. With two teens :) Would love to hear everyones thoughts and if you have preferences. Going in July. Colder time but maybe good for the hiking part. We are not huge hikers but really want to get the most out of our trip. Thanks so much.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,662 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jenolan & Kanangra Boyd National Park

Hi,

You could visit one cave and look over Kanangra Boyd NP but have virtually no time for a bush walk with only one day. If you spend a night at the Caves and did a loop to Sydney (if that's where you will be heading?) via Oberon you can explore the edge of the park. That way you could also visit Canberra.

http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/

…nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/KanangraBoyd-…

http://visitcanberra.com.au/

Cheers,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jenolan & Kanangra Boyd National Park

I doubt you could do it all in one day from Sydney - especially in July when it gets dark quite early.

While the edge of the NP is quite close by, if you want to go to Kanangra Falls (which is the most popular destination) that's another hour and a half on an unsealed road. Than at least another 4 hours back to Sydney. A long time to spend in a car at a time of year when there is only about 9 hours of daylight a day.

The Caves tours all last at least an hour - most are an hour and a half.

As well as the caves, there are lots of great walks around Jenolan and a nice river to picnic by. (assuming it'snot a bleak wintery day).

If you want to do both in a day, you should stay in the Mountains the night before and start your trip from there.

Edited: 16 February 2016, 09:27
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,239 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jenolan & Kanangra Boyd National Park

Too much in 1 day IMHO. Check with your hire car company if driving on unsealed roads is permitted, the are quite harsh (ie. big $$) penalties if you do & its not part of your contract.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jenolan & Kanangra Boyd National Park

I would do the National Pass walk, one of the most spectacular walks in the mountains, with the added bonus of the Conservation Hut (cafe) at the end, where you can have a delicious lunch or just a hot chocolate/coffee. It's at Wentworth Falls. There are a lot of steps at each end, but it's fine if you are in average shape and give yourself time. It really is a beautiful walk. Will take 2-3 hours + Conservation Hut. Wear walking shoes - the trail can be damp.

http://www.nationalpass.com.au/

Kanangra Boyd is very much wilderness, and unlike Jenolan and the Blue Mountains, you will be away from tourists. Check whether your rental car can be driven on unsealed roads. My kids have done a lot of walking in these areas, around Mt Paralyser and Mt CloudMaker. Not hiking for the faint hearted.

greaterbluemountainsdrive.com.au/the-drive-i…

On the way to Jenolan, Mt York, (turn right at Mt Victoria) is where Europeans first saw west of the Blue Mountains, having finally worked out how to cross them. From here, settlement to the west started.

bluemountainscitytourism.com.au/mount-york-9…

The country around Hampton, Sodwalls on the way to Jenolan is beautiful. If you had time, you could have lunch here - a great traditional country pub, with a lovely beer garden out the back.

http://www.taranahotel.com.au/

Re wildlife...people used to recommend Euroka Clearing in the lower Mountains but apparently roo sightings there are not as reliable as in the past. However, given it's pretty much on your way, I would divert and check it out. Nice place for morning tea.

…nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgr…

If you only have a day, then obviously you won't be able to do all this. I think the National Pass walk is quintessentially Blue Mountains, so would do that. Caves I figure you can see anywhere...Kanangra Boyd wild and beautiful but a long drive, over unsealed road. Tarana pub, fun if you're in the area. Genuine Australian country hotel. But that's just my opinion....

Enjoy!

5. Re: Jenolan & Kanangra Boyd National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2017, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Jenolan Caves