We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

I'm visiting the Jenolan Caves in Nov and I would like to visit the Lucas and Orient Caves. The timing on the jenolan caves website is that the Lucas cave tour start at 11:30 am and the Orient Cave at 1:30pm. However, the Trolley coach only departs from Katoomba at 10:35am, so I won't make it on time for the Lucas cave tour. If I really want to visit the Lucas Cave, I have to give up my visit to the Orient Cave which is also at 1:30pm. I've researched for coaches that depart from Katoomba earlier, but to no avail. I've read that the Trolley coach used to depart at 9:45 am, so why did they have to change the timing?

1. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 06:35
Edited: 13 October 2014, 06:35
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

Hello,

>>>I've read that the Trolley coach used to depart at 9:45 am, so why did they have to change the timing?<<<

That is a logistics question which I don't have an answer to, but even if I did, it's a little academic as the company is unlikely to change it. So unfortunately, unless you consider hiring a car to drive yourself, you may have to choose one or the other - maybe someone else can offer you alternate suggestions.

But if it's important, you may wish to contact the company directly, and I'm sure they could answer it for you.

Oz
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

Hi tearsunderstars,

>>I've researched for coaches that depart from Katoomba earlier, but to no avail. I've read that the Trolley coach used to depart at 9:45 am, so why did they have to change the timing?<<

Probably to do with daylight saving. Plays merry hell with the karst features as well as the curtains. Dry your eyes and hire a car.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

>>> But if it's important, you may wish to contact the company directly, and I'm sure they could answer it for you.<<<

Well, I picked those 2 caves out of all the reviews I've read. I've asked Trolley tours whether they had an earlier coach so that I could visit the Lucas Caves first followed by the Orient, but they replied that there's only 1 coach per day departing from Katoomba at 10:35 am and from the Caves at 3:30pm. There's only the Chifley Caves + Lucas Caves tour which leaves no time for the self-guided tour of the Nettle Caves. How disappointing, that 50 minutes which they cut off was crucial. I mean, it's not cheap to get there, might as well spend more time there, right? It ends up there's barely 3.5 hours to spend (including a quick lunch), out of the whole day. If only there was public transport to the area, I would have gladly woke up for the earliest bus and depart at the latest. *daydreams*

>>>Probably to do with daylight saving. Plays merry hell with the karst features as well as the curtains. Dry your eyes and hire a car.<<<

Yes, I would have done that if I had a driving licence. And this shall be one of my motivations to obtain one.

Thanks guys. If you find any way to get there earlier, please inform me, I'll be forever grateful.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

You could stay overnight at Caves House

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

Good idea. I've already booked my accomomdation at Katoomba to do Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves. I would have done so for the next night if I were not flying off to Melbourne early in the morning the next day.

Edited: 14 October 2014, 03:42
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

I realised that I can change my flight time to Melbourne.

However, what does "Enquire" usually mean? It is fully booked or closed? I wanted to book on 4 Nov.

https:/…

8. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:32
Edited: 14 October 2014, 05:32
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

Hello

Enquire basically means they have really lousy reservation management, and they have no idea of forecast or demand, so they haven't set/updated rates.

OR

They have unconfirmed groups on the books, and they want to keep options open - which basically means they have really lousy reservation management, and they have no idea how they should be handling their business.

Putting in an email enquiry through their Booking Button system is no different from sending them an email. But if you haven't heard from them within a couple of days, best you ring them directly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Trolley Tours to Jenolan Caves - departing later??

RE: [TheBookingButton] Enquiry received from: -undisclosed-

House Reception (bookings@jenolancaves.org.au) Add to contacts 4: 19 AM Keep this message at the top of your inbox Photos

To: -undisclosed-

bookings@jenolancaves.org.au

Hi

The hotel is fully booked from 2nd to 8th November for an international conference. A limited number of rooms may become available nearer the time.

Kind regards

Jan

Reception

Phone 02 6359 3900

Fax 02 6359 3083

bookings@jenolancaves.org.au

www.jenolancaves.org.au

~~~

I've came at a truly bad timing. I wonder if I pitch a tent near the hotel or something. Otherwise I would settle for the Chifley + Lucas Cave tour. At least I know that I've fully exhausted all my options and attend it anyway with no regrets ;/

Get answers to your questions about Jenolan Caves