We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice for final decisions to Jenolan C from Katoomba

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Level Contributor
295 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Need Advice for final decisions to Jenolan C from Katoomba

Hi All, Me AGAIN! lol

I'm getting ready to book our excursion from Katoomba to the Jenolan caves for the end of November and I am rethinking the itinerary...maybe you have some useful input. I was going to book with the Trolley tours for the Lucas and Orient caves. The timeline looks like there are only about 15 minutes once we arrive there from Katoomba until we hit our first cave, then there is half an hour inbetween until our second where we can eat something. Once our tours our finished, it looks like we probably have only about half an hour until our bus leaves back to Katoomba. During that time we need to get some food since we have to catch the train from Katoomba to Sydney fairly soon after getting back...it all sounds a bit rushed, does it not?

I'm thinking maybe we should do only one cave and some bush walking...I'd love to see those platypuses...platypi?? lol And maybe have a leisurely bit to eat at Jenolan.

Perhaps I'm mistaken in my first timeline assumptions? Has anyone taken the Trolley tour from Katoomba and back in one day?

ALSO, I'm a bit concerned about being down in the cold for three hours. I'm a bit of a wuss about that much temperature change and tend to get chilled easily. Of course I will try to dress warmly, but I was in a cave before and the cold, damp air really got to me. Again, maybe one cave is better? Any thoughts??

Thanks so much,

God Bless,

Arlette

5 replies to this topic
Jenolan Caves...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice for final decisions to Jenolan C from Katoomba

The caves are 15degrees celsius (76 farenheit) year round a warm jacket should be fine even if you feel the cold.

You will be able to purchase fast food at the Bistro as you do have only 30minutes between tours if doing both.

If you do choose to do only the one cave the 1:30pm Orient cave is smaller than the 11:30am Lucas cave but much more highly decorated.

A bushwalk around the lake and into the Devils Coach House is lovley and hopefully you will see at least one platypus (or a few Platypuses!)

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Level Contributor
295 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice for final decisions to Jenolan C from Katoomba

Hi JC, thanks again for your advice. It helps to know we could buy some food. Oh, just FYI, 15 degrees Celsius in 59 Fahrenheit :)

Thanks,

Arlette

SYD-LON-MUC
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice for final decisions to Jenolan C from Katoomba

If you are staying in Katoomba you could always get takeaway from the number of cafes that open early-ish each morning. Generally 7am or 7.30am they open.

Otherwise Coles (supermarket) is open from 6am so you could always hit that before the trip down to Jenolan.

Brad

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Level Contributor
295 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice for final decisions to Jenolan C from Katoomba

Hi Brad, Thanks for that...we're probably fixed fine for breakfast since we're staying at Lurline House that provides breakfast, but I was thinking of taking away something for lunch between caves. It says there is only about 25 minutes between. Once we arrive back to Katoomba: around 5pm, We can probably go to a restaurant before we catch the 6:22 train back to Sydney. I just wanted to be able to have supper and not get back to Sydney too late. I think this will work. Maybe I'm being a bit sticky on details, but better to have a plan of some sort :)

Also, I have to learn when things tend to close in Australia: shops and restaurants etc. Here in Canada we have this crazy idea that things should be open all hours, so I've gotten used to that. lol

God Bless,

Arlette

SYD-LON-MUC
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice for final decisions to Jenolan C from Katoomba

lol... know what you mean.

Depends where you are I guess...

I mean Melbourne and Sydney cities there is always something open but once you head a little further out like Katoomba things tend to shut early and open late (compared to say Sydney).

Reply to: Need Advice for final decisions to Jenolan C from Katoomba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jenolan Caves