We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alton Towers Water Park

Scotland
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Alton Towers Water Park

Hi,

Has any body visited the Water Park and if so what did you think of it.

Is there enough to keep young teenagers occupied for a half day

Thanks

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
54,325 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Alton Towers Water Park

Hi, sorry for delay, but we went to Alton Towers 5/6/7 Aug, then I went to Disney Paris for 5 days! Just got back.

The Cariba Creek waterpark is free in august, so we got free wristbands for 3 visits.That saved a lot of money for 4 adults. We took towels from the room, coz they charge a pound.The park closed at 7, and the waterpark is open 10-8. We didn't find it too busy at 6pm.

Guests used to enter the park early via a woodland walk, but now the monorail opens at 8.30am for everyone.Guests can enter the park at 9am, and have an hour on certain rides before the day visitors are allowed in at 10.There is a list of the early rides on the wall by reception.

RITA was working the day we arrived, but then broke down for the next 2 days. Also problems with OBLIVION, and AIR was closed one afternoon.

My main grumble is that when Merlin Group took over from Tussauds Group, they removed all the fastrack machines, and now charge for these tickets. They do not refund if rides are not operating.

Hotel guests used to get a free fastrack ticket for 4 rides from reception, but not any more.You have to pay the same as everyone else.

The park is not as clean as Disney- they need to improve this. Overflowing rubbish bins,and rubbish in general in queue lines and walkways.There are designated smoking areas, but these seem to be ignored by many people, and some were smoking in the queue lines as well.

You can still enter the park via the woodland walk(takes about 15 min)but not until 10am. It brings you out by AIR and NEMESIS.You can return to the hotels by the walk, or by the monorail.

Scotland
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Alton Towers Water Park

Thanks Figgygirl

Not exactly a glowing report then

Hopefully when we go in October it might be a little less busy.

Still not sure if the water swimming is value for money or has enough stuff for a whole day.

maybe a couple of hours after trailing through the theme park might do

Cheers

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,325 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Alton Towers Water Park

There are plenty of good rides at Alton Towers if you like coasters and thrill rides, and are tall enough for them. AIR is brilliant- nothing else like it in other parks. The park is set around a valley with gardens and woods in the centre. There is usually a skyway ( like a cable car) that you can take from one side to the other. Unfortunately this recently caught fire, so will have to be rebuilt. It is quite a long walk from one side to the other. You can either walk down the side of the valley, through the gardens, and up the other side ( from UG Land/The Towers/ X Sector to Gloomy Wood/ Air/ Ripsaw) or you can walk left around the park passing through Mutiny Bay/Katanga Canyon/Forbidden Valley to Nemesis and Air.

We stayed in Alton Towers Hotel, which was very nice, although had to ask to change room as I had booked room with a double and 2 single beds, and the room had a double and bunk beds. Not appropriate for 4 adults. The second room was fine, until we realised we were next to the entertainment, which began around 8pm, and was supposed to end at 10pm, but it carried on until about 10.45pm, then we had all the noise of guests passing our room to get to theirs. Not what you want when you left home at 4am that day, and need to get an early night.If you don't plan to watch the entertainment, ask for a room well away from it.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,325 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Alton Towers Water Park

The Halloween Scarefest 17th oct to 1st Nov will be busy. We have been to the Fright Nights at Thorpe Park. Had to buy Fastrack tickets to avoid 2 hour queues. Think Thorpe Park is only for 1 week though, so maybe why so busy.

There is a crazy golf course by the hotels. Cheaper price before 4pm. Open until quite late. You could combine this with the water park to keep teens occupied.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Alton Towers Water Park

Hi,

My husband and I and two boys aged 15 & 18 have just been to the water park this past weekend,We did'nt stay on site we went as day guests it was £43 for four of us.

I know that it is school holidays & I expected it would be busy.

We got there at 12 and it was like going into the fiery pits of Hell!! Every square inch of space was filled with people,My husband and the eldest queued for an hour to go on the flume!In the end they queued for so long they just started to laugh because it was so crazy!

I think that there should be a limit on people going in as I felt it was far too full to be safe.

The boys enjoyed it but I couldn't wait to get out so next time I'll do the spa and let them get on with it.

We stayed for about 4 hours .

Also there are notices saying only food bought from the cafe onsite can be consumed there but we saw families with cool boxes full of food so if you want to save money I would take it in as there did'nt seem to be anyone stopping people.

All in all the boys enjoyed it so that is all that matters, it just was'nt for me.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,325 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Alton Towers Water Park

Agree that parks shopuld limit the numbers. My son went to Thorpe Park with some friends. Didn't have enough money to pay for fastrack tickets after paying to get in, plus petrol.

Only got on 3 rides all day. One queue was 5 hours long.

17. Re: Alton Towers Water Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Alton
Recent Conversations