We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

Level Contributor
1 post
153 reviews
Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

Alnwick is losing a lot of tourists as it does not seem to favour dogs

Cannot go in the grounds of Alnwick

Been refused entry due to dogs in some pubs

Went to get some petrol in Alnwick and was reminded by someone whilst I was paying for fuel of leaving my dogs in the car while I filled up with petrol

Northumberland tourism keeps saying in brochures dog friendly but must not apply to Alnwick

Good point went to Craster and Warkworth and dog welcome signs in practice

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,155 posts
478 reviews
1. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

Individual businesses have the right to decide whether to accept dogs on their premises or not. I have a dog myself and I'm quite happy to avoid places that don't allow them.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,453 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

>>> Went to get some petrol in Alnwick and was reminded by someone whilst I was paying for fuel of leaving my dogs in the car while I filled up with petrol <<<

You should have gritted your teeth and thanked them politely.

Dogs being left in cars and dying from the excessive heat is a real problem in holiday areas and even non-dog owners are increasingly aware of the issue thanks to better publicity. If this leads to a few incidents of busybody-ness it is a small price to pay.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
88 posts
3. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

"Alnwick is losing a lot of tourists as it does not seem to favour dogs"

Or maybe gaining business from those who don't like dogs?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,155 posts
478 reviews
4. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

I don't think we'll ever know, donald. It would be interesting to hear from the OP about how they are so certain it's one rather than the other.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

I can't see anything in the post that says Alnwick doesn't want visitors with dogs.

You were refused entry with your dog into some pubs, so that would follow that you were allowed entry with dogs in some pubs. You need to accept that not everywhere wants a dog in their premises. When I was responsible for risk assessments in public buildings you wouldn't believe how many risks there were if you allowed dogs inside! Allergies, hygeine, safety (biting etc) to name a few.

Someone warned you of the danger of leaving your dog in the car, as above, there has been a lot of publicity about this lately, so someone just thought they were giving you some good advice.

As for dogs not being allowed in the grounds, what grounds? Do you mean the castle? Again, could come down to risk assessments.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

What on earth was anti-dog about someone reminding you about not leaving your dog in your car? It was obviously a dog lover.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,849 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

Unfortunately, due to the irresponsible, amongst dog owners, many places in the UK are much less dog friendly than they once were.

Nearly all of the beaches where we went as kids with our hound, no longer allow dogs. It is a shame that the 'responsible' suffer because of the 'irresponsible' but until people start fully realising that dog ownership is a privilege and not a right, things will continue in the same vein.

Your choice is to find dog friendly places, OR not to have a dog.

I don't have a dog - I would like to, BUT with my work commitments I would not be able to give a dog the proper time it needs, so I don't have one. I have factored all sorts of other things into my decision.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
208 reviews
8. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

Many thanks for that info. Alnwick has just moved up the list of places I'd like to visit.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

Another one post wonder, I suspect.

I'm a dog owner - but I've no idea why some others get so wound up about things like this. If s town isn't that dog friendly, just move onto one that is !

Mike

mj6
manchester england
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
171 reviews
10. Re: Does Alnwick not wish to have visitors with dogs

go to northumberland regular i think the area is dog friendly

Get answers to your questions about Alnwick