We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any short cruise to see POLAR BEARS in June? Scuba diving?

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
65 posts
62 reviews
Any short cruise to see POLAR BEARS in June? Scuba diving?

Is there any short cruise, 3-4 days to see polar Bears from Spitsbergen / SvalBard in June? Any scuba dives on the cruise? Do you have tips?

6 replies to this topic
Oslo
Level Contributor
17,407 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Any short cruise to see POLAR BEARS in June? Scuba diving?

Google

https://en.visitsvalbard.com/

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Any short cruise to see POLAR BEARS in June? Scuba diving?

Hurtigruten does offer short cruises on MS Nordstjernen. Note that seeing Polar bears is always a gamble, Svalbard is not a zoo. Taking a cruise increases your chances, but there is never a guarantee.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Any short cruise to see POLAR BEARS in June? Scuba diving?

Svalbard is amazing, but please don't travel for only one reason you'll maybe not see...

I have been there four times, but haven`t seen any bears...

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
65 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Any short cruise to see POLAR BEARS in June? Scuba diving?

Thank you for your answers. I was just wandering if there are short cruises or snowmobile trips to "try" to see PB since I don't want to go on a long live aboard.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Any short cruise to see POLAR BEARS in June? Scuba diving?

Polar bear are a protected species and actively searching to get closer to them on land and bothering them is forbidden (both for the humans and bear security). You may see one by chance on a snowmobile trip from afar, but then any responsible guide will drive away from it, not towards it. A cruise gives more chance because bears are often seen near the coast and you can get a bit closer with a ship. But it is a chance encounter.

I agree with GG that Svalbard is a special place, but reconsider your trip if you think it will be a failure if you don't see Polar Bears.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
65 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Any short cruise to see POLAR BEARS in June? Scuba diving?

Ok Thank you. Best regards

Reply to: Any short cruise to see POLAR BEARS in June? Scuba diving?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Spitsbergen