We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal belvedere

Bishop Auckland...
3 posts
Save Topic
Royal belvedere

Peolpe opinions please on this complex and is it far to walk to the beach and bars from this hotel?

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
south wales [uk]
Level Contributor
141 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal belvedere

stayed at RB five years ago and vowed never to go to Greece All Inclusive ever again

so i am probably not the one to advise you on this one

for a taste see my post [#31] on the Tourist Tax thread , dosn't make good reading tho

AI is fine for some people especially families with kids were costs can be contained etc but for me it dosn't work

Greece is all about the laid back hospitality / Taverna eating out experience why be stuck in a soul-less hotel with canteen style food !!

Dom Rep , Egypt , Canaries do the big hotel complex / AI experience much better

RB is about 300m downhill to the Star Beach area

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
690 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal belvedere

Can't comment directly about this place although im sure its very nice but as a general comment, i stayed in Koutalafari last year (very pleasant) and on my first walk downhill to explore the Hersonnisos front line, I was shocked and saddened at what i saw. An ugly strip of bars and tacky fast food and restaurants. An assault on the environment.

Had i been holidaying in Hersinissos i would be glad to be staying in a holiday complex.

Just my view and i appreciate others will have theirs too..

south wales [uk]
Level Contributor
141 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal belvedere

this subject and Greece in general is a hot potato and everyone will have their own opinion based on their past experiences ! mine in particular go back to Corfu nearly 40 years ago . Archaravi then was a desolate virgin beach , the monstrosity of Kavos didn't exist in any form , later Cyprus with Ayia Napa nothing more than a fishing village , Protaras and Fig Tree Bay were dots on a map !!! now !!! that Greece has gone !!! replaced by a glorified Blackpool with all its English / Irish Bars and Bingo !!!

whats left ?? not a lot !!!

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal belvedere

Not all of Greece has gone. For example, Koutouloufari, Piskopiano and Old Hersonissos have a lovely atmosphere with lots of tavernas. Saradaris has Gorgona Kafenion, a great, old fashioned taverna with its own tiny beach. I would never go all inclusive in Greece either. If you look, you can still find traditional places and as others have said, part of the experience is visiting different tavernas, sitting in varied places rather than dancing around other people to serve yourself food that others have decided you will eat. Not all of Hersonissos is tacky either; there are nice seafront restaurants and bars you can enjoy, plus good little tavernas such as Sokkakis, Mythos and Votsalo in the side streets.

south wales [uk]
Level Contributor
141 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal belvedere

i agree with you pearlpoppy that not all the old Greece has gone

in another post on AI in Greece i mentioned staying in Royal Belvedere [wrong choice my fault] but spent all daytime hours in the nearby villages of Koutouloufari , Piskipiano and Old Hersonissos which i totally agree with you have wonderful Tavernas and are a world apart from most tacky resorts , why put up with AI when you can have this !!

in three days time are going back to Koutouloufari to sample some more fantastic Cretan hospitality , roll on !!

Hersonissos has its highlights to !! Gorgona Kafenion as you mentioned is a refreshing blast from the past

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal belvedere

I'll be back soon myself welsh_rarebit_9, have a wonderful time :-)

swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal belvedere

We have found many hidden gems in Hersonissos over the years they just need a bit of seeking out,far too many people walk along the main road and instantly form a negative opinion.

Reply to: Royal belvedere
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hersonissos