We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

We are looking to travel from Niagara Falls to Cleveland in July 2016. What is the best way to get there, I was looking at taking the train but it gets in at 3.45am after a 10 hour lay over in Buffalo, which we would prefer not to do. We are travelling from Australia, so don't really want to drive if we can avoid it. 2 Adults and a 12 year old who is not a good traveller in buses. Is there any other options that anyone can think of?

Thanks

Karen

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

Karen,

Welcome to TA and the Cleveland destination forum!

If you don't want to rent a car and drive, nor take a train, nor a bus, the only other option is flying. Check the Southwest website for perhaps the best fares (luggage fees inclusive), but Southwest likely won't offer quick, direct flights from Buffalo to Cleveland. Book flights at least a couple months in advance for the best fares. Sign up on various airline websites in order to received information about fare sales. I don't believe there are any direct flights between Buffalo and Cleveland, but I could be wrong. If not, you might spend the better part of a day reaching Cleveland by air.

See the "Arriving & Departing" and "Public Transportation" travel articles linked in top questions in the right margin for Red Line rail rapid connections between the airport and downtown.

Although your son doesn't like buses, the bus trip would be less than four hours from Buffalo. Check out Megabus and Greyhound. Both, especially Megabus, have very cheap fares if booked well in advance.

Whether flying or busing, you would have to get to Buffalo from NF. Perhaps post on the NF, Ontario, and Buffalo, NY, destination forums for suggestions once you have determined whether you will fly or bus. Greyhound, and perhaps Megabus, may offer service directly from Niagara Falls.

If you drive, you likely will want to rent the car in NF, New York, or in Buffalo. You likely will incur a one-way drop charge of at least several hundred dollars. See car rental advice in the top questions here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

If you do drive, there are some good attractions between Buffalo and Cleveland, such as Presque Isle State Park for fresh water surf swimming and the adjacent Waldameer Park if you like coasters. See the "Cleveland Day Trips" travel article linked in top questions in the right margin for these and other attractions outside of Cleveland in northern Ohio, the most prominent of which are Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world, and Ohio Amish Country, the largest Amish community in the world centered in the rolling foothills of the Allegheny Mountains about two hours south of Cleveland. These attractions are best visited by car.

If you will need a hotel in Cleveland, have you checked availability? The Republican National Convention will be held in Cleveland in July of 2016 from July 18-21 and there likely will be other conventions in July.

Good planning!

Edited: 13 December 2015, 02:24
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

Checked Greyhound from Buffalo to Cleveland on July 12. There are five buses, all with fares under $25 and trip times of four hours or even less.

If you want to see attractions in northern Ohio, and even Niagara Falls, it would be cheaper to rent a car in Cleveland. Perhaps check out Letchworth State Park and Chautauqua, NY. You also could do a round trip around Lake Erie, including The Henry Ford in Ann Arbor and Cedar Point.

Edited: 13 December 2015, 04:26
Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

Thank you so much for your information.

I think the bus would be the best option after all. I am worried about driving on the other side of the road, so it would probably be safer for everyone to stay out of a car :)

Thanks for the tip about the accommodation, My husband is going to a conference in Cleveland from July 28 to 31, so we are staying at the hotel holding it. So now I just need to find something for myself and my daughter to do for a few days.

Do you know if you can do a day bus trip/tour to the Amish settlements from Cleveland?

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

Thanks for the bus info, we are travelling from Toronto by train to Niagara Falls, then from Niagara to Cleveland. I liked the idea of the train so we could see some of the scenery along the way, but I think, all told, the bus from Buffalo will be the way to go to get us to Cleveland.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

See "Tips for Driving in the U.S." in the right margin of the road trips forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Take notes, but reportedly most persons pick it up quickly. Niagara Falls to Cleveland would be a great stretch to get your "other side" driving initiation. Much better than Los Angeles or NYC traffic.

However, if a one-way drop charge is a budget concern, just rent a car once you get to Cleveland to explore the region. You easily could drive to Ohio Amish Country, and most persons drive slowly there anyway due to all of the carriages on the road.

For the things to do, see the "Cleveland Tips" and "Cleveland Day Trips" travel articles linked in the top questons in the right margin.

Cleveland itself has relatively good mass transportation. See the "Public Transportation" travel article.

What are yours and your daughter's interests? What hotel are you staying at?

Edited: 13 December 2015, 13:55
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

It's easiest to explore Ohio Amish Country by car.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28956-c206492/Ohio:U…

As for bus tours from Cleveland to Amish Country, maybe contact the following firms. Perhaps they would have room on a group tour.

www.discovermycleveland.com/Tours/Amish

http://www.pctbus.com/amish-tour-cleveland

http://amishadventures.com/

http://www.amishheartlandtours.com/

www.lakefrontlines.com/tours/one-day-tours/

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

I think, if I can, I will stay away from driving, we are flying into Toronto and out of Cleveland so it is just a week between the two towns that we would be looking at public transport, looks like most things close by should be OK to get to with public transport.

We are staying outside the city at the Holiday Inn, Independence. Not sure what it is close to.

Thought we would go to the zoo one day, maybe the aquarium otherwise looking for ideas.

Her interests are tricky, mostly computer games and soccer and Rugby League (all typical girl things, not), but she will go to anything so I just try to find something that is pre-teen friendly. We are going to Disneyworld Orlando after Cleveland so I will stay away from the adventure parks. That is why I thought about the Amish settlements, as that is not something we can see at home.

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

Thanks for these links, I will see if anyone is running any tours for those dates.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

Unfortunately, the Independence Holiday Inn isn't particularly convenient for exploring Cleveland. It's in a suburb with only bus service to downtown. It's a 15-minute drive, assuming no traffic delays, if you had a car.

If you're not going to have a car in Cleveland, check out the "Public Transportation" travel article linked in the top questions in the right margin. Note the RTA day passes, currently $5.

Note the Google transit search engine at the RTA home page. E.g., using it, it will take 35 minutes to get from the Holiday Inn in Independence to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, including a 20-minute bus ride. The 15 minutes of walking time will include a walk into and out of a steep valley. It's less than a 15-minute drive.

http://www.riderta.com/

It will take you about 10 minutes to walk to needed buses from the Holiday Inn. I don't remember Independence well enough to know if the walks will have sidewalks, a concern because traffic on roads in that area can be very heavy. Also, beware that bus service to suburbs greatly decreases after work hours and weekends, although there should be good service if you would want to attend a Cleveland Indians baseball game in the evening.

The Indians will have games on the nights of July 29, 30 and 31.

cleveland.indians.mlb.com/schedule/…

Much of Cleveland's transit service is a hub-and-spoke system focused on downtown. So while it's only a 20-minute drive to the Cleveland Museum of Art, it may take over an hour to reach it using public transit.

For attractions in Cleveland, see the "Cleveland Tips" travel article linked in top questions in the right margin. The art museum has free admission and is one of the best in the U.S. It also has the best digital technology of any U.S. art museum, including reportedly the nation's largest multi-touch screen. See the discussion under attractions.

See "Cleveland Day Trips" travel article for regional attractions. As in most of the U.S., it will be difficult to visit even nearby natural attractions without a car. This would include the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, an easy visit from Independence with a car. Perhaps a bike rental service would pick you up and deliver you to a CVNP trailhead with rented bikes, if that would be an interest. The CVNP's "Towpath Trail" is an excellent biking trail.

Other top attractions that might interest you include the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. Short walks away are the U.S.S. Cod, often considered the best U.S. WWII fleet submarine museum, and the Cod was based in Australia for much of the war; the Steamship Mather, a one-time queen of the Great Lakes as an advanced ore carrier; and the International Women's Air & Space Museum.

I would recommend signing up for Uber. Also research and have phone numbers for taxi companies serving both Cleveland and Independence.

If you want to post your entire itinerary for your U.S. visit, consider doing so on the road trips forum, even though you are not renting a car. Posters there certainly will encourage you to a rent a car, but the posters there can make other suggestions about included destinations, such as if you're going to New York City.

Renting a car might greatly change and improve your N. American visit. If you decide to rent cars in N. America, perhaps first do so at Niagara Falls. Enterprise and other rental firms often will pick you up at a hotel and deliver you back if you request the service.

E.g., check out the Whirlpool Jet Boats at Niagara Falls, There likely is bus service between NF and Niagara-on-the-Lake, but it would be a good place to initiate your "wrong-side" driving experience. A car rental also would enable you to visit the Welland Canal, a key component of the St. Lawrence Seaway, a massive engineering project that allows ocean-going ships to reach almost half-way into the North American continent.

Beware at NF, you'll have to cross the U.S. border to visit attractions such as Goat Island and Cave of the Winds. It would be a great walk, but I believe taxis are a possibility.

Fairlawn, Ohio
Level Contributor
216 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Travelling from Niagara Falls, Ontairio to Cleveland Ohio

While the Holiday Inn in Independence isn't located downtown near the major attractions, it is a pickup spot for some of the groups running bus tours. Lakefront Lines, which TranscendentalEye linked for you, picks up at the Holiday Inn parking lot. During this past summer, the hotel wasn't being used as a pickup spot because of the construction at the lot but all construction should be completed by summer.

Another tour company with a pickup location in Independence is Great Day Tours, although I do not know where in Independence. The Independence area hotels are clustered in the same area so even if the Holiday Inn isn't the pickup location, I would imagine the location would be within walking distance. Currently, their public tour schedule is listed only through June 2016. Here is the link: http://greatdaytours.com/

Also, the Rockside Rd. station for the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad is down the street (about 1.5 miles). Rockside Road is the northernmost stop for the railroad; it travels through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park south to Akron. You can get off at different stops and take the train back. Some people take it to visit Hale Farm & Village in Bath, Ohio, which is north of Akron. Here is a link to the CVSR that includes information about the scheduling and pricing, special events, and programs such as Bike Aboard: http://www.cvsr.com/home.aspx