We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mission Beach

Calif
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Mission Beach

We are going to Mission Beach is September for 3 nights as well as Pt. Douglas for 4 nights. Can you tell me which location has the best reef experince day trip and is closer to the reef....

Thanks !

21 replies to this topic
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Mission Beach

Port Douglas for the reef.

Mission Beach better for white water rafting, sky diving, sea kayaking, Paronella Park, spotting the cassowary, relaxing.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Mission Beach

Definately Port Douglas.

I lived around MIssion Beach and know some terrific reefs that are just to die for, but that is with mates and not a tour....

You will have a ball and hope the weather is beaut for you so you get to se the reef at its best.

On Ya - Benno : )

Tropical Far North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Mission Beach

When you are in Mission Beach drop in to Castaways Resort & Spa and ask for me ... I will point you to this fringing coral reef which is just 5km north of Mission Beach and you can access it from the shore ... so park your car, walk across the road and down a little coral encrusted beach and within 50m you will be snorkeling over a gorgeous reef with heaps of colourful corals and reef fish. There's about 20 photos here ... www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Mission Beach

Paul,

I noticed that the Bedarra Island resort is still closed b/c of Cyclone Yasi. How is the rest of the area? Also, does your offer of giving out advice at the Castaways still stand?

Tropical Far North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Mission Beach

One of the private retreats on Bedarra only just opened up last week after a reported $2million makeover. Dunk Island Resort has been bought by an Aussie investor for a reported $10million and will be opening next year with 30 rooms. The Elandra Resort has also been up and running fora while and nearly all the local businesses and restaurants are opened and revamped and the whole seaside village is looking stunning again! I now work for Castaways Resort & Spa, Mission Beach so can definitely help you there. I also have put up a Flickr page with heaps of photos of Mission Beach, restaurants, rainforest and beaches taken after the cyclone ... http://www.flikr.com/photos/mission-beach

Edited: 05 December 2011, 10:06
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
2 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Mission Beach

I would definately go to see "Eddy Reef" out of Mission Beach - The reef is amazing, awesome visibility, tons of colourfull coral, heaps of big giant clams and loads of fish - Turtles a planty as well. The boat os not too big, so no more than approx 30 people and no other boats!! Book and stay at Castaways, its the best beachfront hotel in FNQ by a country mile!!

Tropical Far North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Mission Beach

Although Bedarra Island Resort is still closed, East Bedarra Island Retreat is definitely opened up again - check the review here on 14th November. tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255075-d675…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
2,066 reviews
8. Re: Mission Beach

Hi,

Port Douglas www.wavelength.com.au

Tropical Far North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Mission Beach

I went out to Eddy Reef last Saturday. 40 minute boat trip and we were over Eddy Reef. Absolutely amazing and better than other areas by far ... I will post some photos up shortly of the corals and turtles ... yep you can swim right next to turtles!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: Mission Beach

Hello,

Since you are locals in Mission Beach area, I was wondering if you might be able to tell me a little bit about the different communities in the area. I'm looking at getting a beach rental, and was wondering what's the best spot among South Mission, Wongaling and Mission Beach proper. Does it matter where we stay or are all 3 towns equally nice?

Thanks!

Reply to: Mission Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mission Beach