We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

Geelong...
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

Hello all. We will be up north in early October, staying 9 days at the Shangri La in Cairns, then 2 days with friends at the Newport on Macrossan (PD) before they head home. I asked around on this forum a month or so ago about somewhere different to try for our last 4 days and after all the help, have decided we want to see Mission Beach. I have read through a number of posts, plus Ellemay's go list and my conundrum is where to stay?

The Sejala Beach Huts that EM mentions sound great, as does Elandra Mission Beach. As well as these two options there are a number of B&B's that sound like great value as well. We will probably hire a car it sounds like it is best to have one but happy to hear any thoughts or ideas we haven't thought of.

Our time there will consist of some recovery (playing footy in Cairns), walking in water, wading, etc. Just on that, I am a bit confused on the stingers, will the 2nd week of October be ok for wading?

Would love to sea kayak and also do a trip out to Dunk Island.

Possibly even white water rafting, although I have heard that October isn't a great time for it, due to the water levels.

And not having to drive to dinner would be good, so that we can relax and enjoy a bottle of wine without having to worry about driving.

One of the other posts also mentions a trip to the reef in a small boat that picks you up from the beach...did I read that right? Thanks in advance.

Will

At Sea
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
1. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

It's nothing flash, but the Rydges Castaways fits the requirement of a walk to dinner place. It's on the beach, has a restaurant itself and is a ten minute walk to the center of town. There's a bike rental kiosk (or was one) right at the launch ramp adjacent to the property.

The rooms have seen better days (or maybe they never have) but the view of palm trees from the sea facing terrace will keep you out there most of the time.

On the opposite side of town there is a very upmarket eco-resort if you are shopping in that price range and it is very pretty and down a leafy road.

Lastly, I thought the caravan park just across the road from the beach looked idyllic, especially the cabins which seemed modern.

Sorry it's been about 2-3 years or I could be more useful. Easy to get to Dunk island and Mission beach has a very god interactive map and website.

missionbeachtourism.com/About-Mission-Beach.…

At Sea
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
2. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

good, not god, editors can we request an edit function? Some of us need one more than others!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,332 posts
2,127 reviews
3. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

Hi Will,

Most of the places are walking distance to restaurants/

Seja beach huts you will love - on the beach.

Castaway is another on the beach - bigger hotel but comfortable.

Dunk Island - see info for details to get there - very easy. You can hire kayak's from Dunk Island - just pay a day fee I think it was just $25.00 for use of all facilities.

2nd week in Oct is the beginning of Stinger Season. Just read the signs near the stinger nets - by lifeguards - it will say YES or NO.

Castaway has its own swimming pool and Seja huts has a tiny cute pool too.

Have fun.....I adore Mission beach and I know you will too.

EM. ☺

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

I just do not see it as the place to walk to dinner, that way you miss what it is all about. Sort of being away from it all but being reasonably close to some facilities. I would get a room with a view or a room in the rainforest rather than focus on restaurants and have my wine in beautiful surroundings :). Otherwise maybe better to stop in Port Douglas. My opinion anyways.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

October should be ok for stingers, season starts November but have heard some places never even see one until January, if at all but no reason to test this theory: Water nice, lots of dolphins and turtles between the mainland and Dunk.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

Hi Willnino when I was growing up in Townsville we always stayed out of the water from the start of October to March/April. But that was back before they had stinger resistant enclosures.

You may be right- it would be early in the season and some websites these days do say you really only need to stay out of the water from December to March. But if they are there it doesn't make any difference once they get you.

If the life savers tell you they have been spotted already stay out of the water- even for that stroll along the shore- they do not need much depth for their tentacles. Many people get stung around the ankles thinking they are OK just walking along the edge of the beach.

Willnino- by the way- the snow still hasn't melted :-) and it is meant to reach 33 degrees on Monday!!! Oh to be back in minus 10 degrees in Austria!!!

Geelong...
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

Thanks everyone for those replies. I will check out all the places you have mentioned and take on board the tips you have given.

Verdant, I don't know much about the area at all, one of the main reasons we are going to have a look. One of the reasons, I mentioned the walk to dinner, was that we enjoy a nice balmy walk after eating, so thought we would put that down as something that attracts. But happy to meld into the bush if the place appeals...happy to take on any tips you might have. I suppose the wading in the water loses it's appeal a bit if stingers are around. I think the couple of B&B's that get good reviews on TA are back in the bush a bit. I think I enjoy staying at B&B's more than J does, she isn't always as keen although I am working on that for our Europe trip.

Kameka, that snow you have up there is terrific, it just never melts :-)). Do you have the sat nav, co-ordinates of your mountain top photo, I might try and find it when we pass through.

EM, great go list, I will use that as a base for our stay.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

Willnino it might involve a slight detour!!!

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

Hi willnino,

We have just returned from a weekend away at Misison Beach. We too were a little confused with accomm, and actually left it till we got there to choose- typical North Queensland style.

We stayed at Castaways- wonderful. we got a 3rd story room facing the beach- magic. I would definately recommend it- all the staff were friendly and the restauarnt looked nice even though we walked into town for dinner. The rooms were clean, flat screen telly, resort style so no kitchen facilities but if you did want that they do have suites available too. resort pool and bar with good cocktails.

We also looked at others in surrounding little "suburbs" such as Kurramine Beach and South Mission, but decided on Mission Beach itself due to atmosphere. Some of the outer areas are VERY quiet...just depends on what you want. Sometimes a quiet break is what you need but you will find yourself driving to get to/from anywhere. Mission itself is pretty chilled out and relaxed.

Discovered the cutest restaurant called Friends in the main town area. Gorgeous food and lovely ambiance. You just must dine here!! I am planning on posting reviews soon. A couple of nice cafes for breakky and lunch too in Mission.

Also in the area there are a few touring options such as Skydiving, White water rafting close (Tully- should be good in Oct too), blow carting on beach, kayaks for hire, and Paronella Park. You can see Dunk Is from the beach- and worth a day trip there too- but wouldn't stay there again. Beautiful area and worth a look as you say. Nice countryside and very relaxed. Did notice lots of backpackers in town last weekend.

well enjoy, Oct is the best time of year in the tropics....and go to Friends restaurant ! Cheers.

Geelong...
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
10. Re: Mission Beach...hmmm, where to stay conundrum

Kameka, I am aiming to stand on that same mountain, wherever it is in the world :-))

DJJ, thanks heaps for that info. I am thinking that even though October is a great time up there, I should be able to wait till pretty close to the time to book Mission Beach. The room you got sounds great, so I will look up Castaway and see how it stacks up. I am glad you were a bit confused too, when a local isn't too sure, makes us "tourists" feel better :-))

I am not sure if we will go resort or hotel style as we will have been away for almost 2 weeks by then and all of our stay will be in non cooking rooms. I think we will continue that trend through the end of our holiday, especially when you and others talk about all of the great eating venues. Will definitely add Friends to the list that we have compiled already from Ellemay, thanks for the tip.

The adventure stuff sounds good too, as long as I make it through footy ok, would love to try the white water rafting and even blow carting (just need to find out what it is..haha). Thanks again and look forward to receiving some more tips...by the way, did you try any of the adventure stuff you mentioned and if yes, were they good..?? Will

Get answers to your questions about Mission Beach