We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

South West England...
Level Contributor
22 posts
141 reviews
Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

We are heading up the coast in early Feb and after leaving Airlie Beach have six days before we are due in Cairns. We are going to be very much on a budget by then and will have 'done' the Whitsundays.

So we are looking for a few days to just relax and do some walking/sightseeing things. As we are travelling by Greyhound we are limited to where we can stop but it looks like either Townsville or Mission Beach, unless anybody has other ideas.

We are also aware the weather might play a part in what we do, but we just have to hope it behaves!

We like a bit of art and I am very keen on landscape photography, if that helps!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
23,279 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

We lived in Cairns for a year and Mission Beach was one of our favourite places to visit. I've never been to Townsville, but it is a city of almost 200,000, whereas MB is a small coastal town.

We particularly loved the scenery in MB, its quiet country feel and easy access to the ocean and forest.

So, if you are wanting somewhere very laid back, with great photo opportunities, a couple of galleries and a great beach, then Mission Beach could be for you :)

South West England...
Level Contributor
22 posts
141 reviews
2. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

Thanks Sue... sounds like Mission Beach will be worth stopping at.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,125 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

Bowen is worth a night or two - Tiny wee town, gorgeous views, and there are caravan parks right on the water that have cabins for rent.

Perhaps you could split your time up a bit?

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12,283 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

Or Magnetic Island just off Townsville

http://www.magneticislandtourism.com/

http://www.magnetic-island.com.au/

Edited: 24 November 2016, 07:32
Oz
Level Contributor
15,227 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

Hi,

Why ? Do you wish to experience the Wet Season, Stinger Season, Cyclone Season and mold growing in your nether regions ?

If you want to dive and snorkel it will be much safer, far less problematic weather wise and great diving on the Southern GBR.

ladyelliot.com.au/content/…

If you want fantastic landscape photo ops head to the Gold Coast Hinterland.

https://oreillys.com.au/

If you want art head to Sydney, Canberra, Hobart or Melbourne.

Cheers,

South West England...
Level Contributor
22 posts
141 reviews
6. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

Thanks for your concerns! Have you ever thought of getting a job with the Queensland Tourist Board? I realise it's not the best time to visit but we are from England! We have just got to hope the weather is not too nasty... Both the places you mention look lovely but we are on a budget. We will be spending time with family and friends in both Melbourne and Sydney so will take in some culture there...

Oz
Level Contributor
15,227 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

Hi,

The places I've mentioned are in QLD. You don't have to go to the tropics in summer to visit the GBR it stretches for over 2,000 klm.

Still of course it's your holiday.

Cheers,

faulconbridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

I would think Mission beach would be the best choice for relaxing ! But I im am biased as i have fallen in love with mission beach . It is a very laid back part of the world . I have been to townsville a couple of times and find it a small city .

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
59 reviews
9. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

Townsville will be statistically the driest option at that time of year. Mission beach is one of the wettest spots in Australia and Feb is peak rain season. Townsville is at the heart of the dry tropics and gets around 320 days of sunshine a year. Magnetic island is a brilliant place to visit with fantastic walking trails and koalas in the wild to see. Townsville has the Strand Beach which trip advisor rates as one of Australia's best - in fact I'm going for a swim down there right now! Mission Beach and surrounds are also worth a look but you really need a car there to see it all whereas Townsville's sights are all within walking distance (plus ferry to Maggie). AirBnb in TSV to keep costs down and get good local advice.

Mission Beach...
1 post
10. Re: Mission Beach or Townsville, or..

so did you go to Mission Beach, and if so what was it like ?

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Mission Beach