We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short break to Castleton, advice please?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Short break to Castleton, advice please?

Hi,

Me and my partner have booked 4 nights in Castleton in March, we love the look of the place and are both really keen on doing to walk up Mam tor and also going to see Peveril castle.

How hard is the Mam tor climb? As in neither of us are professional walkers however we do like a good walk, we've got no health problems so i suppose i'm asking is it do-able for the average Joe?

Also if anybody can give any tips on places to visit or places to eat that'd be nice, thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short break to Castleton, advice please?

Hi folks,

Walking up Mam Tor is easy for reasonably fit people. There are a few routes. One nice route is to walk West from the village, ignore the left fork that goes to Speedwell Cavern, continue until the road finishes. Take a footpath to your right that (I think) is signposted to Hollins Cross. You can then walk South West along the ridge to Mam Tor. There is a well defined path down to the road and a car park. From here you can walk back down Winnats Pass.

There is an alternative. From the top of Winnats Pass walk west along the road for about a hundred metres and then there is a track on you left that goes past Rowter farm and further on to a T junction. Turn left and then after a couple of hundred metres there is a footpath on your left called The Limestone Way. This will take you back to Castleton in a valley with Peverill Castle up on your left.

I have used this route as part of a Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Expedition with 14 year old pupils.

In the area, apart from Speedwell Cavern, are also Treak Cliff and Blue John Caverns.

Hope this is some help.

Bob

Hove
Level Contributor
192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short break to Castleton, advice please?

Cave Dale, the valley below Peveril Castle, is spectacular. Peak Cavern, another of the show caves, is over the other side of the dale.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
18 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short break to Castleton, advice please?

A good route to Mam Tor from Castleton is to follow Hollowford Road (it's on the sharp corner in the town). This will lead you up towards the Great Ridge - most footpaths on that side lead up towards Hollins Cross on the Ridge. The top of the Ridge is well paved so it's reasonably easy to get up to Mam Tor once you reach the ridge.

There is a great circular walk that passes Peveril castle - up Cave Dale, across Windy Knoll, up Mam Tor and then down from Hollins Cross. There's a good description here:-

gandljdean.co.uk/rambling/CavedaleMamTor.html

It may be quite challenging - depends what a "good walk" is for you. The most difficult bit is the first bit up Cave Dale - if you can manage that, it's reasonably easy going afterwards. It's a bit of slog up Cave Dale, and there's a stream that sometimes over-runs the rocky path.

The weather's highly unpredictable in March. Make sure that you have some decent walking boots / waterproofs and tell someone where you're going / what route you're taking. It can be particularly soggy / muddy underfoot at that time of year.

If you need fuel for the walk, I'd highly recommend For Heaven's Bakes (https:/…) which does amazing (and huge) slices of cakes. It's also worth a walk over to Hope for food at the Cheshire Cheese (not the Castleton one, although that does passable food too) - there's an easy low route between Castleton and Hope, or you can climb up the Great Ridge, go over Lose Hill and drop down.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short break to Castleton, advice please?

Thanks for the great answers - very helpful much appreciated!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short break to Castleton, advice please?

The link that fancyrats refers you to is the circular route I suggested but in the reverse direction!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short break to Castleton, advice please?

The walk up Cave Dale is just a bit of a slog, but not difficult if you watch your footing, and the views open up behind you. The Limestone Way follows another set of very pretty dales (Hay, Peter, Monk and I think Miller) but I'm not sure how to make that a circular walk. My B&B proprietor steered me to the Nag's Head FWIW--I thought the sausage and mash was excellent (they had a choice of both sausage and gravy).

Spectacular area for sure.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short break to Castleton, advice please?

Hi, I walk the area alot. In fact this Sunday I'm starting a great walk in Hope which is next to Castleton. I have a hobby web site and include my favorite walks. there is an excellent walk which starts from the center of Castleton. It takes you to Hope through the field, up Edale road a little, then up Lose hill, then to Mam Tor and back down to Castleton via Odin's Cave. near-chesterfield-derbyshire.com/lose-hill-w… - There's a PDF at the bottom of the web page you can print off for free.

It's a great walk hope it helps.

Adrian

Reply to: Short break to Castleton, advice please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castleton