We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nottingham to Treak Cliff Caves in Castleton

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nottingham to Treak Cliff Caves in Castleton

I am currently in Nottingham and would like to go to Castelton to see the caves as we heard those are the best. We are having some issues trying to find a direct way there for a one day trip.....any suggestions? Can we get to the other caves from Castleton such as those in Buxton?

4 replies to this topic
Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nottingham to Treak Cliff Caves in Castleton

All the Blue John Caverns are around Castleton- the semi precious stone Blue John is only found in that particular area.

I've been down three Caverns- TreakCliff, BlueJohn cavern and the Speedwell cavern in which no Blue John was found. This latter cavern has an underground boat trip but to me comes third to the Treakcliff or the BlueJohn cavern which are about equal in their appeal. The BlueJohn Cavern does require you to climb lots of steps down and then back up- and that feeling of descent probably made it slightly more memorable for me than Treakcliff which is more on a level

The reason why getting there is difficult is that the original road has been lost due to landslides and the geology means that it is not viable to repair , so to get a very short distance as the crow flies you have take a long detour

You should find it well worth the trip, whichever Cavern you choose.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nottingham to Treak Cliff Caves in Castleton

Do to more the issue of returning to Nottingham than going to Castleton, we decided to rent a car in Nottingham. Any warnings or suggestions would be much appreciated

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nottingham to Treak Cliff Caves in Castleton

If you are going to be mobile, you might like to visit Chatsworth House or Haddon Hall or both. Very contrasting stately homes.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nottingham to Treak Cliff Caves in Castleton

For anyone planning a similar trip by public transport in the future, there are two easy ways of doing this journey:

Train Nottingham - Sheffield ... then ... Bus Sheffield - Castleton (runs every hour)

or

"Transpeak" bus Nottingham - Bakewell ... then ...Bus 173 Bakewell - Castleton

The Train-Bus option is by far the easiest.

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 03 August 2011, 06:50
Reply to: Nottingham to Treak Cliff Caves in Castleton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castleton